Transient Boost Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Transient Boost « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Feller
Frequent User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, 27 October, 2009 - 17:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, all I can say is getting your cars history reveals ALL!!!
I finally received the full history on the Bentley a week ago and I spend last night going through 200 pages of material. What a great read.
It starts from original build sheets in 1989 in Crewe then delivery notifications to Aust in Aug 89 right through to 2002. I can fill in the rest as I have files on it going back to 2000 when Fox Rolls Royce looked after the car.
In 1995 the car was fitted with a Transient Boost Kit by York Motors!!! Question is what the hell does it look like in the engine bay? what am I looking for???
Can someone identify this for me... nong that I am I would have no idea what to look for.

Cheers

J

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 475
Posted on Tuesday, 27 October, 2009 - 17:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi James,

Have you noticed a device with a clock face or a 1" red LED screen , about 8" across. With a battery pack taped to it and lots of wires leading to what looks like brown sticks of rock from the seaside??

NO? Good because that would be a bomb :-)

The transient boost should mainly be a small ECU fitted in front of the Air Filter box on the headlamp panel.

application/pdf
TransientBoostModule .pdf (33.5 k)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2016
Posted on Tuesday, 27 October, 2009 - 21:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yours has the potchy air-to-air intercooler to make up for the catalytic onnverter - almost. Those intercoolers run out of effectiveness within 30 seconds and then are useless, hence the later liquid intercoolers. All lead to unwanted turbo lag due to the longer air path.

The cross-bolted crankcase security helps peace of mind on your car - my Turbo R just missed out on that), but I risked it with a home-made $5 transient boost modification, and it works just a treat. That is simply a timer relay and a few resistors to up the boost for 10 seconds. Crewe did the same thing in an elaborate style with no extra functionality or protection whatsoever, and some pretty boxes and harnesses to rub it all in. Those boxes look expensive enough only to justify the price. Mind you, I shall not divulge the details for fear of blame if a motor blows and the transient boost is blamed as a result.

RHT.

The Crewe version looks good, albeit Dom Perignon priced as it is. All you need is a $5 beer job really.

James Feller
Frequent User

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, 28 October, 2009 - 17:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Guys,

LOL re bomb Paul.... the whole car is that....

RT, take your point. I have had a look up around the air filter and frankly cannot see this sort of ECU type of thing... I can only see the wires going into the lights... am I looking in the right place? I thank you both for posting the diagram but am unsure what the photo is of... it looks like a washer resoviour or something like that... have you got a better photo or a better reference?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 476
Posted on Wednesday, 28 October, 2009 - 18:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi James,

the photo is of the right hand headlamp aperture the 1 and 2 point in behind the indicator.

to the left is the back of the headlamp

boost

Should be here.

James Feller
Frequent User

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, 30 October, 2009 - 08:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Guys,

Paul, cannot see anything in the light appature as per your arrow that resembles ECU as per diagram. Maybe I don't have it or they have put it somewhere else. In any rate the Big B has no shortage of grunt.

cheers

J

Thanks

James Feller
Frequent User

Post Number: 98
Posted on Saturday, 07 November, 2009 - 13:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Helps if you know what your looking at....

Guys, this has had me confounded for a few weeks as I was certain my car should have the factory TB kit fitted as per history I have.
After much pondering I had a eureka moment... as per attached photo, the little devil reveals itself. ITS LOCATED ON THE FRONT PASSENGER SIDE. Thanks again Paul and RT for your note, I was assuming the pdf was a photo looking from engine bay out... its actually looking from front of car back into engine bay. ( no titters please, I have already stated I am a nong when it comes to mechanics )
After much swearing and cursing I managed to remove the headlight shrouds to reveal the ECU. Now I wonder if it still works? I wiggled the connector plugs and made sure they were fully in... that was as brave as I got.
I did take the opportunity to polish the round chrome headlamp bezels while the shrouds were removed... why not, I dont intend to remove those bastard shrouds again anytime soon.

Cheers

J

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2025
Posted on Saturday, 07 November, 2009 - 17:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Actually, James, I was initially surprised at how easy the shrouds are to remove.

There are just the two thumbscrews to undo underbonnet and the whole shroud and sidelamp assembly comes away. If too tight, the thumbscrews do have a convenient hexagonal head to make life easy too. The correct method when replacing sidelamp and flasher bulbs is of course to remove the shroud assembly, although most cars by now have had their lenses butchered to replace the bulbs in-situ. I last had my shrouds off replacing the twin-beam lamps for drive-on-the-left recently, and really admire the simplicity.

RHT.

and ps: I am clocking up about 1,500km weekly now, suddenly working at Circular Quay, Sydney, overnighting during the week, going sometimes to Parrammatta for meetings and so on, and living in Canberra. These cars are the best daily-drivers ever. Since registration in mid September I have added another 7,000km to the dial.

James Feller
Frequent User

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, 08 November, 2009 - 11:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

RHT, yes they are just 2 thumbscrews but it took me an hour to figure that out.... I tried from the front first and was confounded and then terrified to force anything. I then came at it from behind, no pun intended, and yep the concept is pretty good.
The shroud on the air filter side is quite easy i'll grant you that. However the passenger side one as in the above picture has its thumb screws completely obscured by a/c pipes and all sorts of wiring harnesses. Not to mention they were done up tight enough to contain a nuclear explosion. ( sorry to plagerise Bill but I just love that analogy of yours) and to get a spanner on them did cause me to take the lords name in vain many many times.

They really only need to be hand tight, and yes now for cleaning and bulb changing it will be simple as you suggest Richard.

RHT the Sydney commuter... I'll look out for the Green beast then. I would love to use my Turbo or Spirit as daily drivers but they are just weekend pleasures for me. BMW 335 has the pleasure of transporting me in my daily grind...

Cheers

J