Silver Spirit Help Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Silver Spirit Help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glynn
New User
Username: glynn

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, 24 June, 2004 - 06:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chassis no: SCAZS0003CCH04319

Hi all,
Would it be feasable to place a "tap" into the exhaust balance pipe, so that one could then isplate each bank and then be able to tune the carb on each respective bank with a CO meter. This in my mind would be an easy way of setting up each bank to be the same reading as each other.
I am having trouble setting up (balancing) the twin SU's on my car.
Thanks in anticiptation.

Glynn Waterworth.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 261
Posted on Friday, 25 June, 2004 - 04:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glynn, this would not work as each carburettor feeds two cylinders on each bank.

Martin Taylor
Prolific User
Username: martin_taylor

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, 27 June, 2004 - 22:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If it is only balancing it can be done without any special tools (other than a tachometer) although the method might be somewhat "coyboy" in nature.
When tuning Rover V8's I use the following method to balance the carbs at normal and cold high speed setting.
Get the car up to operating temperature,
Block off one carb intake with a piece of plastic or cardboard, note the idle speed,
Remove the piece of plastic etc and run the engine at +1500RPM for at least 30 seconds,
Do the above with the opposite carburettor.
If there is a difference adjust the carb that is not being blocked to obtain half the difference and retest.
When complete the engine should run at correct idle speed and drop to the same value with either side blocked.
Do the same with the fast idle engaged (on the Rover this is done by bridging out the temp sender, this may be a linkage on the Spirit, it is in my shadow.
It is important that the engine is run at a fast idle between adjustments as the blocked carb will no be burning any fuel on those cylinders and the plugs must be dry in order for accuracy.
Once balanced the mixture screws can be adjusted to the point where the idle just stops increasing.
After the idle has been balanced any idle speed adjustments should be made to both carbs with the amount of turns being the same, this is of course after checking that the linkages are set up correctly and not holding anything partly open.
Martin
85 Porsche 944
72 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow
Rennlist member 990510-1252
http://members.rennlist.com/martintaylor