Little "clip" things on the front win... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Little "clip" things on the front windows « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Pfeiffer
Experienced User
Username: jpsnaggs

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, 14 September, 2006 - 10:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Spirit has these little things in the window tracks towards the front of the window - the only thing I could relate them to would be little clips of some sort, and the only thing I could imagine they do would be to help the window go in properly. Appears that most of the Rolls I have seen have these on the front windows as well.

One of mine somehow fell out. My mechainc is telling me that they appear to serve no purpose, and that my windows roll up very straight, and that I should forget about putting it back, unless I intend to sell the car. From looking at it, it appears that it will take an act of devine intervention to get it back in, having to pull out the felt like track that the window goes into, and putting this back in... Does anyone have any advice?

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 327
Posted on Thursday, 14 September, 2006 - 11:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jason.
Yes, they do have a use. They are wind deflectors and their purpose is to prevent the window popping out when you travel at speed.

The car's design tends to make things flex at high speeds and you may have noticed that the door can move when travelling at high freeway speeds. Sometimes it's the little things that make all the difference. Some owners have also installed secondary door seals to quieten down the wind noise and to help stop the windows from flexing as well.

Jason Pfeiffer
Experienced User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, 14 September, 2006 - 11:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does anyone know of an easy way to get these back in?

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Thursday, 14 September, 2006 - 17:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Those guide blips clip in behind the window seals. They are not for fun. Your mechanic is quite unfamiliar with these cars it seems.

There should be one on the leading edge of each front door frame and one on the trailing edge of each rear door frame on cars at least until the front quarter glass was replaced by integral Jaguar mirrors very late into SZ production.

If your blips are loose, broken or missing, don't even think of opening or closing a window above 80 km/h, or the glass may snap off and end up in the ditch or worse.

As with most vehicles, the aerodynamics and ventilation combined are such that there is a pressure difference normally pulling the glass outwards. On SZ cars, the window opening method caused the need for this safety guide as the designers wanted the windows' leading edges (front) and trailing edges (rear) to open first. If one window alone is opened 1cm at speed it may be quite dramatic if the blip is missing, especially with crosswinds. Crewe learned the hard way. Best buy a new one where it is missing. Other manufacturers have different solutions.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Thursday, 14 September, 2006 - 21:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jason Pfeiffer
Experienced User

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, 17 September, 2006 - 06:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow, glad I posted this question...

In all fairness to my mechanic, I actually asked the guy who owns the shop (my buddy) and not the mechanic. That same morning, my buddy called me and told me we sould put it back.

Thanks for all your help!