Body issues Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Body issues « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Frequent User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, 08 May, 2009 - 23:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear all,

While cleaning the car yesterday, I noticed that the bottom part of the front end of the sills in my continental R, is open. This means that where the inner sill joins the outer sills there is a purposeful 1 cm gap which was filled with mud and crap.

I investigated a little and saw that the gap had been once occupied by a now hardened and rotten foam, I think it must have been a factory fitting to allow draining of water while limiting the ingress of mud between the sills.

Can anybody confirm this? Can I leave it open and clean it regularly or should I re install a nice foam?

Best regards

Lluís

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 325
Posted on Monday, 18 May, 2009 - 07:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Llu�s,

You are correct about the gap and foam. The foam is quite hard from new. (kind of impregnated with bitumen or waxoyl possibly?)

The area should be cleaned and waxoyled (imho) and a new foam fitted. The bottom edge is slightly open.

There is a plate on the inner wing that can be removed (access for the chrome strips) which will allow waxoyl to be sprayed in. Very helpful in the fight against corrosion.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Frequent User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, 18 May, 2009 - 18:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you a lot.

Will be taken care of next week end...

Best regards

Lluís