Placing jack under front sub frame mount Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Placing jack under front sub frame mount « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Darryl Watson
Experienced User
Username: inox

Post Number: 184
Posted on Saturday, 03 September, 2022 - 00:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Had front wheels balanced today.
I asked the people to place the jack under the triangle lever(s) and if they wanted to jack the car under the sills they must use the shaped blocks I carry in the boot.
They jacked the car up on both sides under the rear mounts on the subframe.
Using a mirror and a light I can see no damage.
Any thoughts re possible damage to the mounts?
Regards,
Darryl
p.s. Balancing not a total success, still have small vibration at about 70mph.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 799
Posted on Saturday, 03 September, 2022 - 01:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

https://youtu.be/JdqzrTJYUO4

Begs the question since they did not follow your direction, Did they tighten the lug nuts to the specified torque?

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 763
Posted on Saturday, 03 September, 2022 - 16:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Should be ok, wish I knew which garage had jacked mine up and flattened the jacking flange 🙄

Darryl Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 185
Posted on Saturday, 03 September, 2022 - 17:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I photographed the rear mounting brackets, (UB20098), this morning and they appear to be not bent. The flanges? around the edge have some old minor dents so it's not the first time it's been jacked under the subframe.
When the jacking points on our car were flattened I took the vice off my bench to straighten the flanges after bending then back to vertical.
Regards,

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 821
Posted on Saturday, 03 September, 2022 - 19:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Darryl, I use Wooton Tyres ( KB Tyres) in Northampton and Jack the car myself. They are quite happy. The flanges on both my SZ are flat,but I always carry a small trolley jack and never use the car jack.

Darryl Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 186
Posted on Saturday, 03 September, 2022 - 23:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark,
I was able to bend the flanges back into shape using stilsons to the get the flange vertical then the vice supported on blocks of wood to straighten out (almost) the kinks.
The wheel nuts were torqued correctly with a hand wrench.

Darryl Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 189
Posted on Wednesday, 07 September, 2022 - 21:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jacked the car up this morning and thankfully can see no damage.

Sent stiff email to the manager of Wellingborough Tyres a company I won't be using again.

Regards,

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: