Retro fit reversing Cameras for an '8... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Retro fit reversing Cameras for an '88 silver spirit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graham Hutton
New User
Username: gph

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, 29 January, 2019 - 09:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, I wanted to know if it was possible to retro fit (as inconspicuously as possible)a reversing camera to my '88 Silver Spirit?
and a similar question about hard wired dash cams (front and rear)
thanks in advance

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2141
Posted on Tuesday, 29 January, 2019 - 10:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It depends on how inconspicuous you want to go.

Something like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013AUMTBO/ref=psdc_1342943031_t1_B0169FMJK8

Can be drilled through the number plate.

The screen is more conspicuous.

Garmin do a satnav with camera built in and can have a wireless reverse camera attached as well.

Bonus of having one device for three jobs.

The rear view camera is wireless so you can fit them to any cars you use and just take the satnav unit with you.

Graham Hutton
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, 29 January, 2019 - 13:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul, "inconspicuous" is preferred option, understand some of the dash cams have a sensor which activates if the car is bumped into whilst unattended, not sure how effective the recording would be, but better than nothing I guess.
Reversing camera a must in my part of the world, big car, small spaces and all parking is rear in angle.

Steve Emmott
Frequent User
Username: steve_e

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, 29 January, 2019 - 14:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham, my dash cams are 'motion sensitive' even through glass. They start recording the moment I drive off or even if someone walks in front of the car. Excellent quality pictures

I have 4GB SD cards that automatically overwrite and create a new file every 3 mins on motion sense but will continually run on long journeys. Gives about 2 hours worth of total recording before overwriting albeit the feature in the menu can be turned off.

The rear view camera I have on the new LandRover is factory fit but does not record. Something I am sure will be a future update. These are great for hitching up my trailer but most times when I go out in the morning the screen is blurred due to condensation on the lens or just dirty from the road spray thrown up at the rear. So always needs cleaning first.

Alternatives obviously are the beep beep proximity detectors but I have found the dash cams to be very useful.

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 526
Posted on Tuesday, 29 January, 2019 - 19:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Graham
See this link where I have pics of mine
http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/30/19675.html
Mike

Graham Hutton
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, 30 January, 2019 - 12:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I called in today to check the progress with the transfer of the car to me, it needs a "Roadworthy" certificate before anything is done, Dad pointed out that he has already had a reversing camera installed (the screen is housed in the rear view mirror)
he also mentioned that central locking (after market) was or was half way through being installed)so i shall need to see what happened there.

Graham Hutton
Experienced User

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, 17 April, 2019 - 06:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well Dad has decided he’s not ready to part with the car, so,I bought my own :-)
Same car , but an ‘87. I don’t take possession for a few weeks, what with easter and ANZAC day things are slow getting organised.
I shall (I think) go with the after market rear view mirror option, it looks less obtrusive once installed. Once it’s in place I shall report back.

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 550
Posted on Wednesday, 17 April, 2019 - 17:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Graham
I've just fitted one of those mirror/screen to my wife's car, they are good but need the brightness and contrast up full to overcome the reflections on a bright day OK
Mike

Graham Hutton
Experienced User

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, 18 April, 2019 - 07:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Michael, thanks for the heads up, can you let me know the make and model, it may help in choosing an alternative.

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 551
Posted on Thursday, 18 April, 2019 - 18:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Graham I bought it from eBay item number 223163794440 OK.
But note it does not include the camera OK
Hope that helps
Mike

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: