Speedometer Calibration RR Silver Spi... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Speedometer Calibration RR Silver Spirit SZ series « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graham Griffiths
Experienced User
Username: cineprojectorman

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, 21 April, 2019 - 03:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I noted when the car was traveling at 70 MPH my Garmin SatNav said 62 MPH a nearly 13% error.
Members may be interested in the latest update to my web site of how to calibrate the speedometer of a SZ spirit [not sure which other models use this speedo?]

http://35de8ignitionrepair.eu5.net/rolls-royce-silver-spirit-repairs-and-fixes.html#Calibration

http://35de8ignitionrepair.eu5.net/rolls-royce-silver-spirit-repairs-and-fixes-mobile-view.html#Calibration

Regards
Graham

Kevin Deasy
Experienced User
Username: kevin1946

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, 21 April, 2019 - 05:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

All that was very interesting to read,thanks for sharing it

Robert J. Sprauer
Grand Master
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 302
Posted on Sunday, 21 April, 2019 - 06:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Do you have the original "profile" tyres on the car?

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Sunday, 21 April, 2019 - 07:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wonder what the Police speed trap cameras digital read out would be, I think I would trust my cars
speedo,

Richard.

Graham Griffiths
Experienced User
Username: cineprojectorman

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, 22 April, 2019 - 02:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My tyres are 235/70HR/15, which I believe are standard equipment. Since I've recalibrated the speedo on the bench, as they would do in the Smiths/Jaeger factory, my speedo and satnav GPS MPH tally. Badly worn tyres may make a difference, for example if the car speedo says 70MPH the satnav would show a slightly lower reading because the tyres are not travelling so far/fast and the odometer would read slightly more. Conversely larger tyres would produce the opposite effect I.E. the satnav would show a higher speed to that of the car speedo. [Would anybody fit larger wheels to a SZ Rolls Royce?]
Such a lot of talk on the internet of wheel size, final drive gear ratio, transducer etc. I see this as irrelevant because the electronic speedo has been bench calibrated. For 1 MPH, 8000 pulses mile * 1 mile hr/3600 sec = 2.222 Hz. E.G 8000*70/3600 = 155.5Hz
I could be wrong of course
Regards
Graham

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 552
Posted on Monday, 22 April, 2019 - 03:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good work Graham!
No wonder everybody was passing me lol
Cheers
Mike

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: