MULSANNE S 92 WARPED DASHBOARD TOP Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » MULSANNE S 92 WARPED DASHBOARD TOP « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User
Username: portamno

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, 13 June, 2018 - 22:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear All:

I thought that my Mulsanne S was ready for me to enjoy, after not running 4 years and consequent problems.... Which were solved with the enormous nad gracious help of some members from the forum....And now THIS HAPPENS! Please look at the pictures...The dasboard top, on the right side, by the louver, has an enormous warp on it! Versus the left side (driver's side) which is fine. I am told that this is due to the car getting too much sun, and the therefore the wood has warped...Strange, as the car was always garaged...So, it must be fixed. My mechanic states that he can fix it, by putting it in water, to make the wood soft, and then "warm-blowing" it dry to the correct position....But I have been loking on how to remove it (the dasboard top) in order to fix it, cannot find the location of screws, or any other way by which it' secured.... Does anybody have the schematics on how to remove it?

Thank you for your help!

WARPED DASHBOARD TOP

WARPED DASHBOARD TOP

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 466
Posted on Thursday, 14 June, 2018 - 00:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Pedro
A wooden top roll is very rare! Is it not just leather come unstuck? If so just glue it back down OK
Mike

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, 14 June, 2018 - 00:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mike:

Thank you for your reply. Nope, itīs really the wood below the leather that is warped. Never have seen anything like it....Do you know where I can get the schematics to take the whole piece out, "unwarp it" and put back?

Warm regards

Pedro

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 468
Posted on Thursday, 14 June, 2018 - 02:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Pedro, have a look here for the instructions you need OK http://rrtechnical.info/sz/05_sz.htm
Quite a job to take that part off!
Mike

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Thursday, 14 June, 2018 - 04:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Pedro,
I think you will be amazed to find that the warped item is in fact plastic/fiberglass. This happens frequently to these cars. Yours is not the only one.

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, 14 June, 2018 - 05:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Michael,

Thank you so much for the tip....Will check it out.

Warm regards

Pedro

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, 14 June, 2018 - 05:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Michael!

Sorry to bother with with this: I have followed your link, but I was not able to find the "area" where it shows how to take that piece off: I mean the one on the picture, which I have called "Dash top"...Like you said, I think it's a major job....

But could you please advise where that info is? I have checked all the chapetrs ans sub chapter but nothing about the inside of a Mulsanne S 92....

Warm regards

Pedro

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, 14 June, 2018 - 05:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar!

First, an update on that Airbag warning light. The car went to Bentley Portugal (In Lisbon) today...We had made a "reservation" for 15.00 PM....When we got there, we were advised that the master mechanic had "gone home" as he was feeling sick....I almost blew my top, as we drove almost 100 kms to get there...I asked the staff why they did not advise us by phone....They stated they did not have my phone...That's an outright lie, as I supplied my phone number....So, I am waiting a phone call from them to resechdule....UNBELIEVABLE!

Regarding the Dash Top, mine looks like it's made of wood....I am just waiting for instructions on how to take it out, but according to Michael, that's a major job....Well, must do it, it's horrible to stare into that "hole", as you can see in the picture....

Warm regards

Pedro

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 469
Posted on Thursday, 14 June, 2018 - 06:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Pedro
I'm still looking for the section you need ,but in the meantime I found this section on airbags that may be useful for you.http://rrtechnical.info/sz/cs/tsd5069p2.pdf

On second thoughts if you have to remove the dash ,is there an airbag on the passenger side too? be very careful if working around the area !!

Do you have the IETIS manual on a computer? this is what you need for a 1992 car?
good luck
Mike
ps I will keep looking for you

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, 14 June, 2018 - 21:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Michael:

Thank you very much for your reply. The section on airbags I already have, but I need the diagnostic tool which ONLY Bentley has....I do have the Ietis manual in my computer, but then again, I need that diagnostic tool...I dont have an airbag on the passenger seat, so that's fine. It's already a major job just to take out that dash top....

Warm regards

Pedro

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1893
Posted on Friday, 15 June, 2018 - 02:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would have ago at using steam to dampen the wood if fitted and then use downward pressure with the use of a length wood from the top windscreen surround doing the downward pressure job in stages till the gap is slightly over closed.
Once completed I would use a screen sun reflective cover in place on hot sunny days.
This was a must have when visiting the Algarve in the spring summer months, so so hot.

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 471
Posted on Friday, 15 June, 2018 - 03:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi Pedro
If you do decide to take the top off the instructions shuold be here on ietis go TSD5000/S body/4door/S15 interior trim/top roll, demister etc ok
Mike

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, 15 June, 2018 - 04:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Michael:

Thank you for your suggestion Mike! And you know "what I say"? ALELUIA!!! GOT IT, THANKS to you!

Anything I can do for you, please let me know.

Warm regards

Pedro

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, 15 June, 2018 - 05:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick:

Thank you for your comments. Thanks to Michael suggestion, I was able to locate the correct schematics to take care of that warp.

But you are suggesting to use steam without taking the top roll off? Just "unpeeling" the leather, is that it? And then using some pressure on top of the warp from a wood beam fixed somewhere inside the habitacle?

The problem that I can "see" is that I dont know how to peel back the leather covering without taking the whole piece off....

Or, would you use the steam in the hole created by the warp itself? Therefore not needing to take out the leather??

I see you know the Algarve! I did grammar school in Portimao, back in the 60's....

My grandparents on my fatherīs side were from the Algarve (they are deceased for many years already. From a small village called S. Bras de Alportel, near by Loulé....

Warm regards

Pedro

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1894
Posted on Friday, 15 June, 2018 - 07:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pedro, I would try with gentle steam through the hole and then a little pressure with more steam and so on.
Leave the covering intact as once removed the whole top will need to be removed to re cover the leather.

My time in Portugal goes back in Eights before the common market.
Senhora da rocha near Porches is a lovely place.
A short walk and the chapel of Nossa Sehora da rocha perched on the cliff top!

How the roads and transport have changed over the years including the costal apartments that have sprang up every where.
Roads were manly tracks back then with mules and ox with carts with the women doing much of the work.
The vino, port and the fish lunches with the locals in-land will always be remembered.
Happy days Pat.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, 15 June, 2018 - 13:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Buenos dias Pedro,
Regards your dsah problem....if you look at it closely, you will see that the heat has buckled the substrate that the dash leather is attached to.
The leather is usually glued to a fibre composite base.
If you first remove the plastic vent without damage and warm the surrounding area where it has buckled up with a hair dryer and use a contact cement with a thin nozzle and apply a bead under the buckled section, press it down and immediately
lift it back up until the glue 'strikes off'....followed by pressing down evenly with a flat piece of wood over the area which is then wedged by another piece of wood against the top
of the screen and leave it under pressure for at least 12 hours.
This should reform the area back to normal.
Remove any dried glue protruding from under the area with a sharp knife before re installing the plastic vent back into place.
It should look very close to the other side of the dash when you're finished.

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, 15 June, 2018 - 20:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Patrick:

Going to the garage now to see if your suggestion will work out.

In the 80's, the Algarve was a GEM! I was already in the US (moved there in 74 due to the revolution). I am quite familiar with the chapel you mentioned, been there many times. My favorite beach (still) is Olhos de Agua, near by Albufeira....But you would SURPRISED how things have changed in the Algarve. I was there a few months ago, and while the "charm" is stil there, it's not the same as before. It has become much more internationalized and touristy. Still, one can still find some of the old charms, "tucked away" in special places....It's a favorite spot for Englishman, more than 200,000 live there. Wish I lived there as well!

Will keep you posted on how things will proceed.

Warm regards

Pedro

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, 15 June, 2018 - 20:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Maxwell:

Thank you for your input!

I have read your suggestion repeatedly...I have a question: You mention that "one apllies contact cement, after warming up the warped area, and of course previously have taken off the plastic vent...Then press the area down, and immediately lift it off until the glue strikes off"....

Since there is no underneath support (that I know of) to glue the warped area onto, are you suggesting that the glue (being very powerful) will straighten out the warp by itself? Using of course a flat piece of wood over the area, fixed into positon by another oiece of wood against the windshield?

In other words, the glue by itself, will "normalize" the warp into the correct position?

Sorry for the lenghty question, but your suggestion is of course the easiest way to take care of this problem, and very "intriguing"... And an attractive solution.

Warm regards

Pedro

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User

Post Number: 206
Posted on Friday, 15 June, 2018 - 22:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pedro....I could be totally wrong but from what I can see in the pic, it seems like the leather has lifted away from the substrate which gives the 'bulge'.....if that is the case, the method I have suggested is the way to go.

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2018 - 22:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Maxwell:

Have tried this morning to do as you have graciously explained....But under the substrate, it's wood! And I supect, from research I have done on the carpentry work at Crewe in the 90's that itīs actually maritime quality wood conglomerate...so "heating" with a blow drier seems to make it evern harder....I suspect that we may have to take out the whole aparatus, put some wet and very hot towels on the wood itself fora few hours,to try to get it "soft" so we can finally straighten out the bulge...

Warm regards

Pedro

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User

Post Number: 207
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2018 - 23:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pedro.....such a pity but I guess life with a Bentley was never meant to be easy.
I wish you luck with your new method and hope you
have some success in rectifying the problem.

Cheers,
Maxwell

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, 20 June, 2018 - 03:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Maxwell:

Thank you for your comments....You are right! But 1 hour on a Bentely "running right" is the equivalent to 10 sessions on a shrink!

The dismantling started ths afternoon. Going to take a look now.

Warm Regards

Pedro

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 966
Posted on Wednesday, 20 June, 2018 - 10:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pedro, just a thought. Upon seeing your post about the dash warping I immediately inspected the dash on my 1982 Spirit. No warping at all and its been in the Australian weather, which I think would be much hotter than your country.

I am wondering as you say its wood whether you have a leak from the windscreen seal. Rain water will eventually warp wood. I think it prudent that when you get the dash out, you get the front windscreen seal tested for leakage.

It would have been horrid for you to look at that dash warping as you drive along - a bit like a dog biting you on the ankle every time you entered a pub for a beer!

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, 26 June, 2018 - 21:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Vladimir:

Thank you for your reply. You are right! It was horrible to drive the car with that warp. Worse than a dog bite!!

It's now fixed as you will see in the pictures on my next post....And the window seal was checked....

Warm regards

Pedro

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, 26 June, 2018 - 22:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear ALL:

THanks to your advice, the warped top demister roll is now FIXED, looking kust like the other side!

As you can see by the pictures, we had to take it out. This was not so difficult of a job as I first thought so....With good instructions, and I helping the mechanic, it took us about 1 hour to take it out....

Then, we steamed the warped wood area underneath the leather.....It took less than 30 minutes, we were worried that it was "maritime conglemorate", but it was not....After those 30 minutes, well it was soft and easy to put back into position....

Then we fixed 5 screws from underneath. The other side only has 2 screws....

What happened (in my opinion)? The heat from the windscreen, over the time that the car stayed outdoors (when it was at the other mechanic) dried out the wood so much that those 2 screws just "gave out", and the warp occurred. Wy it happened on one side and not the other is still a mistery to me....

But as I stated, we have used 5 screws and it looks just like the other side. The picture does not do it justice. The car was locked, and the mechanics were on lunch time, did not want to bother them to get me the key.

So, on to the problem of the airbag light....For that one I think I have to go to bentley Portugal, which I abhor....But they have the computer to take out "faults", hopefully.....

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 479
Posted on Wednesday, 27 June, 2018 - 00:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Pedro
Well done and thanks for the update!
Cheers
Mike

Jim Walters
Prolific User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 176
Posted on Wednesday, 27 June, 2018 - 04:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pedro, did you not read through the links in my last post in your thread on the airbag issue? You do not have to take it to the dealer to read the airbag fault codes.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, 27 June, 2018 - 21:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Mike!

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, 27 June, 2018 - 21:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Jim:

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I did....In fact I printed them out and took it to the mechanic.

But, an "issue " has been raised by the mechanic....When I first placed the car with him, and this is back in February, it's because he GUARANTEED that he would make the car "perfect"....That's after I took him to the other mechanic, and he heard the car running- on 7 cylinders only....As I have spent "fortunes" on this car, we previously agreed on a total payment of Euros 3.000 for him to fix it.

Then, he "played around" with the injection system, and it took a while to get it running properly. He did not have to do it, but he wanted to clean it as the car had been standing for almost 4 years. This I understand.

When that problem was fixed, I paid the remaining monies up to the agreed amount of Euros 3.000....

Now, he is claiming that to fix the airbag light is "outside" of the agreeement. Well, he was the one that first took out the airbag, in order to straighten out the steering wheel!

It's a classical example of greed over time. I have a small collection of cars, I have had them serviced there... So he figures he can "squeeze" a little more money.

This is irritating to say the least. He still has one more job to do, which is to to get the A/C running, the electronic board was not working well.

Then I will take the car out, and proceed to ATTEMPT to clean up that code, according to the instructions that you have kindly sent to me.

But I have got to study them carefully! Otherwise, and from having spoken to to Bentley Portugal, they said it was a "matter of 5 minutes, provided that there is nothing wrong with the airbag systems"....But they have done that to me before, so I am suspicious.

Sorry for this long talk, here in Portugal if one has a Bentley and a few other cars, one is considered "rich"....That's not my case, however I am working on it! but 2008 hurted me badly, professionally.

My next project, provided that I can afford it, is a jaguar Mark II 1968, but with a 4.2 engine!

I brought that car from Norway, where I have an office (I work in fish), had been looking at it for the past 20 years! The cr is running, but needs a deep overhaul.

In the meantime, I "dream" of driving "wilson", (that's the name I have given my bentley, for some very needed pleasure and relaxation....

Warm regards

Pedro

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: