Cannot close window Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Cannot close window « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Darryl Watson
Frequent User
Username: inox

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, 07 June, 2018 - 23:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All,
1990 Mulsanne S.
The driver's window won't close unless I pull the glass upwards or push the bottom of the glass upwards. The motor turns and the gear tries to move but the gear doesn’t rotate.
Closing the window no problem.
I have replaced the “white gear” and the motor/worm coupling.
With the motor/gearbox assembly held in a vise on the bench and powered from a battery charger I am unable to stop the gear turning using hand held pipe grips on the gear boss.
I tried pulling the chain, (with the motor removed), to raise window and it is very stiff. (Normal?). Pulling the chain to lower the window the glass is easy.
The wire(s) are on all of the pulleys.
I sprayed silicon lubricant in the window runners.
The chains are (white) greased and free.
If it moves I have oiled it.
Before I transpose the motors from front door to front door (Oh joy!) does anyone have any further ideas.
Many thanks.
Regards.
Darryl

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, 07 June, 2018 - 23:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Darryl, try a pair of jumper leeds from a cigar lighter. Make sure the wires are of a heaver gauge than what powers the motor now. If that works, search the forum for added window relay.

Darryl Watson
Frequent User

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, 08 June, 2018 - 00:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Mark,
I hooked up a battery charger to the motor - no difference.
I omitted to mention that the motor continues to rotate, albeit very slowly, at the end of the window travel.
We've had the car nearly twelve years and it only started misbehaving a couple of weeks ago.
Regards

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 462
Posted on Friday, 08 June, 2018 - 18:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Darryl
Put a voltmeters across the motor and see what you get .I had just 5v to mine.
Mike

Darryl Watson
Frequent User

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, 08 June, 2018 - 18:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mike,
10.9v down 9.9v up
The motor runs but the metal gear that drives the chain doesn't turn unless helped in the up mode.
I connected 12v battery charger - same result.
The gear turns OK in the down mode.
Regards

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 463
Posted on Friday, 08 June, 2018 - 19:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Darryl
Pity I didn't see this post a few days ago when I had my motor off, but from memory I couldn't believe a little motor could ever turn that chain.
What I did notice was the old grease in the coupling area had turned to a very sticky glue and was really holding the coupling from turning, did you clean out the area when you fitted the new coupling?
good luck
Mike

Darryl Watson
Frequent User

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, 09 June, 2018 - 20:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mike,
I changed the coupling in February last year when I cleaned out all of the old grease in the gearbox & drive "tunnel".
I changed the coupling again this May when the gear didn't cure the "slipping" that started during May.
I cleaned out the coupling area before replacing the coupling.
Regards

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 464
Posted on Saturday, 09 June, 2018 - 21:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Darryl
Sorry I can't think of anything else , there must be something binding somewhere, I wonder if the window is going a bit squewif so one side is digging in?
Let us know what you find OK
Cheers Mike

Darryl Watson
Frequent User

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, 16 June, 2018 - 18:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,
The fault was due to the metal shaft turning inside the cog to shaft rubber bush. If I held the cog in a vice I could turn the shaft with a spanner.
Interesting that I couldn't stop the cog turning using pipe grips.
2.5mm hole drilled & split pin fitted through cog bush and shaft & we have window movement both up & down.

Regards

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 472
Posted on Saturday, 16 June, 2018 - 21:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well done Darryl, there's a lot of force from that little motor eh?
Thanks for letting us know the fix!
Cheers
Mike

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: