A loom for a pew Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » A loom for a pew « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Derek Atkinson
New User
Username: datkin21

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, 08 February, 2018 - 09:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all. I recently became the proud owner of a 1993 Turbo R (46757). It's a long way from perfect, but I wanted a car I could enjoy without worrying too much about it.
Inevitably the seats don't work well; the driver's seat won't move backwards or forwards, and on the passenger's side the rear won't adjust for rake, the front of the seat won't rise (although the back does) and the lumbar support doesn't work.
Having previously read about the leaking batteries and ECU problems I got stuck in to this job assuming that to be the problem.
However, when comparing between driver's and passenger's sides I realised that part of the loom seems to be completely missing. There are wires going into one side of a 9 way socket, but nothing coming out the other end. There are three connectors, two in blocks with one on top of the other and held together with black zip ties. It's the top of these two that is incomplete. The third connector is cylindrical and on the left hand side of the pic.
The remaining wires are all neat and tidy, so it looks like someone removed it with some care and attention, but this then raises questions for me:
• Why would it have been removed and not replaced?
• Where can I source a replacement loom?
• Where did the missing wires lead to? By comparing to the driver's side I can see that the missing wires would have snaked into the centre console. Would they have connected to the switches there? I presume there are other wires between the switches and the fuse box? (I'm not a confident electrician!)
• Would the missing wires be the cause of the lack of operation?
• I have yet to investigate the condition of the ECU, but I'm expecting that to need sorting as well, but when they 'go' does it affect all seat functionality or does it just depend which parts of the PCB are damaged?
I'm having difficulty matching the diagrams in the excellent documents on ECU repair with what I see under my seats - I'm not sure if all cars had the lumbar support adjustment switches and whether that is another layer of complication to contend with.

The footwells were very damp as well. It seems to be fresh water as opposed to a leaking heater matrix. I checked that water drains out OK through the scuttle air intake. The windscreen seal is separating from the space between the glass and the body, but a windscreen guy came and took a look and said it probably wasn't that as the screen is bonded in, which surprised me.

Any advice gratefully received.
Many thanks
Derek
seat loom}

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2006
Posted on Thursday, 08 February, 2018 - 19:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, check inside your ECUS.

The drivers and passenger sides are different because the drivers ECU also controls the door mirrors.

99% sure it will be the outer chrome separation which will be the problem causing the leak.

The chrome is held in with tabs which enter the cabin. The tabs rust or have not been sealed properly so water gets in. Water runs down the A post under the carpets. No sign of water travel.

These must be sealed really well where they go through the body and add sealant in the clip as you fold and fit it.

Derek Atkinson
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, 08 February, 2018 - 21:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks Paul for your prompt and comprehensive response.

Next stop will be ECUs. I hadn't considered the different functionality between the driver and passenger sides, that makes a lot of sense.

I'll post back later with what I find.

Regards

Derek

Derek Atkinson
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, 08 February, 2018 - 22:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Addendum, does anyone know if the windscreen seal and chrome trim can be reinstalled without removing the screen?

My local windscreen chap admitted that he'd not done an SZ series car before, but he thought that the screen would have to be removed and re-fitted in order to install the seal properly, which then runs the breakage/cost/inconvenience etc.

Many thanks

Derek

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2007
Posted on Friday, 09 February, 2018 - 09:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It MUST be done WITHOUT removing the screen.

Have you got a manual Derek? Drop me a PM if you like.

The fixings are inside the vehicle on the A posts and in front of the rear view mirror.

If you'd like to order the 4 strips let me know and I can send them to you.

Best regards, Paul.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: