Spur A/C Hoses Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Spur A/C Hoses « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 888
Posted on Saturday, 15 September, 2018 - 20:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Took the '86 Spur in for A/C service today and was floored by the cost of the pressure hoses...$400 made up, $1150 factory. I had assumed that they would be standard hydraulic style hoses, but the story was that they have very special ends that require special machining or fabrication or something that went over my head. Is that true? Not easily made up by a hydraulic hose supplier?

The two circuit boards in the climate control box were equally shocking to be rebuilt...$300+ each. The list of other issues went on and on. $$$!! Looks like repairs on other cars are going to take priority as long as I can keep rolling the windows down for "climate control"!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1668
Posted on Sunday, 16 September, 2018 - 00:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Christian,
A hose is a hose is a hose is a hose.
If the pressure rating and the compound on the pressure side suits that material then a hose is a hose is a hose. The fittings are all standard A/C fittings like any other car.
I pay $35 for my A/C hoses normally.

The circuit board is a Rolls-Royce special and they do fail sometimes.

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 209
Posted on Sunday, 16 September, 2018 - 13:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian, send me pics of your hose ends. I know a guy who does some machining.
Kelly

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 889
Posted on Sunday, 16 September, 2018 - 16:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The 1986 Silver Spur is serial #13909.
Looked at it closer today and yes, the ends are crazy complicated with multiple bends and some sort of can built into it (will post photos tomorrow), but the real issue is:

What level of pressure is running on the high side? Can't be that much or it would blow out the evaporator unit? Less than 1000 psi?

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 499
Posted on Sunday, 16 September, 2018 - 17:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Christian , the gauge only goes up to 500 psi pk
Mike

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 890
Posted on Sunday, 16 September, 2018 - 17:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael....
Thanks for that. It is as I suspected...relatively low even at the high side. The photos I will post tomorrow will more adequately show a possible "workaround" of simply cutting out the crimped on flexible hose section of the assembly and using appropriate compression fillings to reattach another crimped on section into the assembly rather than recreating the entire hose with its quite complicated metal ends. I have made such a repair on a solid metal hydraulic line on another piece of equipment (bobcat skid steer) where it was impractical to replace a solid metal line without completely disassembling the machine to replace the hard line. I simply cut out the damaged section of the hard line and replaced with a flex line. Worked fine in that much higher PSI application. Wonder if the same "workaround" would also work here?

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 500
Posted on Sunday, 16 September, 2018 - 18:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Christian
I would just replace the crimped on flexible too, if I had the tools and hoses.
Just make sure the correct hose is used for permeability of the gas and suitable for the oils ,is it r134a you will be using?
Good luck
Mike

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 895
Posted on Monday, 17 September, 2018 - 17:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is the hose in question. Dye test shows leaking at both crimped ends. While the flexible portion is just a hose, the ends are decidedly proprietary. Cutting the hard line ahead of the front crimp and retaining the portion that goes to the condenser in front of the radiator seems doable but there is no room between the rear crimp and the can so that side will take a bit of reworking. A likely place to cut would be on the compressor side of the can? What is the can? A dryer? Seems odd that it would be built into the hose such that it is not replaceable without also doing the expensive line. Is all this effort worth the trouble given that the old line lasted 30+ years and once done I will not be around in another 30 years when next required. Better to simply sacrifice the back account and replace as designed?

A/C line

front end of line

The compressor end not only has the can built in, numerous angle bends, but a 180 degree curve that terminates in a fitting at rear of the compressor. Yes, VERY proprietary!!

compressor end of line

No room between can and crimped end of hose for cutting and inserting a compression fitting to facilitate easy future removal and replacement of the flexible portion of the line.

can to crimp area close up

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, 18 September, 2018 - 01:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm not an A/C expert so I don't know what the can is - probably a drier - but we could eliminate it or replace it or weld extensions on it for an adapter. I weld heat sensitive items like this submerged in water with just the nipple exposed.
We could retain the original fittings and make new crimping collars if new ones are not common.
I don't see any reason why we can't save this hose and a few hundred bucks.
Kelly

http://BritishToolWorks.com

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: