New Front Brakes Today-Easy Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » New Front Brakes Today-Easy « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User
Username: cliffy

Post Number: 123
Posted on Saturday, 21 October, 2023 - 01:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

After adding about 10,000 miles to my 86 USA Spirit since purchase 2+ years ago I decided to check the brake pads again at 36,000 miles on the clock

When purchased they had about 5mm left of useful pad. Now a couple were down to 2MM. Time to change them.

The discs looked very good and the thickness was OK so they were used as is. The pistons have no leaks what so ever and the dust boots were soft and pliable. Other than brake dust everything looked good.

Did sourcing and found that 1970s Ford Cortina pads were the same P/N so they were purchased at a very low price in comparison. I used ceramic pads as they will cause less disc wear than metallic brake pads and considering what it takes to change the discs and the costs involved- it was a no brainer decision.

The job took about 3 hrs considering jacking and blocking and cleaning of the wheels, tires and hub caps. Used a cheap piston caliper spreader bought off Amazon to spread the pistons back into their bores (@ $10 US). This made the job easy. Could be done right on the mounted caliper.

Broke the pads in easily and now with 35 miles on them they work just fine.

Best part is not having to remove the caliper to change the pads!! AND no worries for the next 30,000 miles :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: