Been doing some work on the SZ.... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Been doing some work on the SZ.... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Towers
Experienced User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, 01 May, 2016 - 07:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

and it astonished me how strangely RR/B fitted things. Over the years, obviously lots of new equipment was added and they seem to just fit it wherever there's space! No rhyme or reason at all. Point being the difficulty in getting the electric aerial out.
There is a large diagonal brace across the space needed to get the aerial out. This has been placed there to hold some extra relays and a bit of wiring. The thing that got me is that it's made out of plywood!
Also, drivers side rear window has broken. Getting the damn thing out is... problematic to say the least. When it is finally out, it is a cheap plastic ferrule that has broken. Of course that is not available so a new one is £800. S/H is £200. Flying Spares have made them in metal. This part is tiny and would cost at the most a quid to make, they want £48 for one!
The earlier one (up to 95) is a lovely thing with chains and sprockets and every part is available and cheap. Why did they change it and make it worse?
The doors themselves seem to be held together with a million hidden fixings and they even hide some screws behind the door seal.
The dashboard is another case in point: obviously been changed lots over the years but when the wood panel is removed, it is clear that none of the plates used to hold the new gauges in place fit properly or even fill the holes - it looks like something Heath-Robinson would have come up with!
These new items fitted are held in with self tappers into aluminium sheet cut and bent to make brackets. They do not look to be 'top notch'! The part numbers drawn on in pen add to the impression!
Still live the thing though!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 154
Posted on Sunday, 01 May, 2016 - 07:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David
Totally agree,I have yet to find something when I say to myself,that's a good way/place to fit it.
They must have had a make it difficult department lol
Mike

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: