Subframe and rear hubs swap Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Subframe and rear hubs swap « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Daniel Diewerge
Experienced User
Username: didi13109

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, 13 October, 2011 - 23:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In our half of the world, winter is approaching and I am preparing my wrenching projects….

This time I want to install the complete front subframe with suspension and the rear hubs and the stabilizer bar from a very low mileage ‘91 Turbo R into my 1985 Bentley 8 (X13109).

The reasoning is that it should be easier to swap the subframe than replacing all the old rubber bushings and ball joints on the 8.

My original rear hubs do have some play in them and shudder when braking hard, so a swap to the much beefier and easier to service Turbo hubs in lieu of rebuilding the old ones also makes sense in my opinion.

Will the Turbo R‘s driveshafts bolt up to the earlier rearend‘s flanges? Are there any pitfalls I haven’t thought of?

To install the new front subframe, my plan is to put the car on the highest stands I can find, lift the engine and transmission with a hoist as high as I can without damaging the bottom/ firewall of the car. I would than remove the springs, shocks and other parts like the steering column/ exhaust downpipes etc. and pull the frame out from under the car. Installation is in reverse order with the new chassis. Good plan or not? Thanks for all comments! Sebastian

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2011 - 07:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It would be very useful and informative if you could photograph and document this project for the Technical Library to help others contemplating this upgrade in the future.

I would be pleased to help prepare your manuscript and photos in a suitable format for archiving if you wish. I can be contacted using the message service on this forum.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2433
Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2011 - 09:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hallo there Daniel in LUX,

Unfortunately, along with the Turbo R Lobros, you will need the output shafts from the Turbo R differential. They can easily be swapped without removing the differential.

Assuming that you are swapping out the road springs and both antiroll bars you are maintaining the vehicle balance by changing front and rear systems, and I assume that you will not be fitting the active ride from the later car.

There is not much else to worry about, but have fun with this significant project !!

RT.

Daniel Diewerge
Experienced User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, 11 November, 2011 - 22:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well I had the sub-frame prepared for installation but then found out it was bent…
This is a bit of a disappointment since I had hoped that the additional sub-frame to longeron tie-bar (that my original sub-frame does not possess) would bring additional stability. So I will now have to change the individual suspension components.
At least all the rubber bushings look and feel brand new. The ball joints are very tight as well, except one lower ball joint which I will rebuild. There was a tiny split in the rubber boot which let water it.

The rear hubs seem to be in great shape. I also have the Turbo R’s rear differential so I can swap the flanges. I remember that when I changed the driveshaft boots on a friends Silver Shadow I, the manual advised that the flanges be removed with great care from the differential. Apparently there is a risk that a part might drop into the differential housing.
Cheers Sebastian

Daniel Diewerge
Experienced User

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, 14 November, 2011 - 01:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP