1982 Spirit Rich cold start Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » 1982 Spirit Rich cold start « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, 04 March, 2013 - 21:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Spirit runs extremeley rich on cold stat for the first 2 or 3 minutes after start up (engine"beats" and exhaust smells fuel) . I assume this is a problem with the choke solenoid / thermal time switch ? How quickly should this switch off andis it adjustable. Choke comes open via stove pipes quickly and runs fine after initial few minutes.
Mark

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, 04 March, 2013 - 21:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark,

My T2 also had this problem. I disconnected the thermal delay to confirm, and after that replaced it with a salvage part (from Paul Yorke).

I took the old switch apart, and it's a pretty simple bimetal spring heated by a coil. So unless the coil has shorted out, it should in theory be somewhat adjustable (by bending the bimetal spring). But I haven't yet spent the time to figure out exactly what was wrong with mine, or whether or not it was repairable.

The timing (2 or 3 minutes) is about what I was experiencing. That might be correct at -10 or -20C, but I was getting it at -2C, where I suspect it should be more like 10 or 20 seconds.

Jeff.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 973
Posted on Monday, 04 March, 2013 - 22:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a feeling that there is an adjusting screw hidden under a blob of paint.

Michael Hicks
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman22

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, 04 March, 2013 - 23:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes your Right Paul

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, 05 March, 2013 - 02:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks gents, disconnecting the solenoid has cured the problem. Where is the timer located, so that I can have a go at it ?
Mark

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, 05 March, 2013 - 20:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Timer is on the bulkhead/firewall. Driver's side (for RHD cars at least), below the fan-to-evaporator ducting. It's a round thing about 2" in diameter and about 3/4" tall.