Air Conditioning Pressures Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Air Conditioning Pressures « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 131
Posted on Saturday, 24 April, 2004 - 15:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have recently replaced the air conditioning compressor on the Spur and when recharging the system with the 'new' gas, the technician noted that when the engine was idling for long periods the high pressure side of the sytem rose somewhat. He was suprised that the auxilary fans in the front of the condenser did not cut in and were only switched on when the coolant sensor closed. He has now fittted a relay that switches them on when the compressor is switched and is much happier with the pressure readings. All this is way out of my ken - but I am curious as to other's experiences in this field.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, 24 April, 2004 - 18:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill, that's a safe way of cheating, and effective !

There should be a pressure switch on the aircon: the auxillary fans should kick in based either on water temperature or on aircon pressure. However, if you can stand the fans operating more often, your fix is bound to be more reliable.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 133
Posted on Saturday, 24 April, 2004 - 23:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Richard at present (Greg at L&T) has the relay switched into the clutch circuit and the fans running do bother me. He can fit a pressure pressure switch in the circuit to switch them on as required. I think I will go down that route.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 161
Posted on Sunday, 25 April, 2004 - 00:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill, on my 20,000-series car there was already originally a pair of refrigerant pressure switches, one for the fans and one for the clutch. I haven't a wiring diagram, but I would have thought yours would have those both too, so maybe the pressure switch for the fans is faulty. Anyhow, you are in the best possible hands at L&T. They are brilliant.

Incidentally, you may remember that two years ago I had L&T replace the suction valve on the T-Series (the suction valve (modulator) was fitted to all cars before the Silver Spirit). I have since discovered that R-R issued a bulletin around 1980 to delete it and cycle the compressor using a pressure switch instead. Darn.

RT.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 162
Posted on Sunday, 25 April, 2004 - 01:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry, correction.

There is just one pressure switch on the aircon refrigerant circuit of course, for the fans. The compressor clutch is cycled by a thermostat. This applies to all cars from the Silver Shadow II/T2.

The factory mod on the Silver Shadow throttle suction valve, applicable until the SSII/T2 were introduced, replaces the valve with a thermostat too.

Martin Taylor
Frequent User
Username: martin_taylor

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, 26 April, 2004 - 21:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you don't want to open the system again a small capillary thermostat can beasily be fitted to the outpipe of the condenser, I have done this to my Porsche (fans would otherwise run all the time) and to my SS1 with an added extra fan. I leave it set at about 35 degres, when stationary the fans run all the time, at 100km/h they cycle on and off as neccessary

Martin Taylor
Frequent User
Username: martin_taylor

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, 26 April, 2004 - 21:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you don't want to open the system again a small capillary thermostat can easily be fitted to the outpipe of the condenser, I have done this to my Porsche (fans would otherwise run all the time) and to my SS1 with an added extra fan. I leave it set at about 35 degres, when stationary the fans run all the time, at 100km/h they cycle on and off as neccessary, My SS1 also has the suction throttle valve, this gives the Air that fresh clean smell that you only get when the compressor is running even on a low setting, with a thermostatically controlled compressor it is quite noticable when it cuts in and out. Better climate control (and humidity) is maintained by running the compressor all the time and using blend flaps to control the output temp as they did on later cars.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, 27 April, 2004 - 00:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's precisely the thermostat arrangement in the Silver Shadow (I) conversion kit which controls the cycling. 0 deg C is the cutoff point on a Spirit.

John Wright
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.84.80.76
Posted on Sunday, 23 May, 2004 - 07:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have also recently replaced the compressor on my venerable ( 555,000 km) SSII. NBS Services (Brisbane) fitted a new late model Spirit compressor and this solved a number of problems.I had troubles with the system pressure for some time.A modern condensor unit helped but the cutting in and out was heavy on the compressor. This led to the usual bearing rumbles which eventually annoyed me so much I changed the compressor. Head pressure now is MUCH lower and the unit a good deal quieter.The conversion requires the fitting of altered brackets as the new unit is much more compact.The new unit seems to be the same as that fitted to the 1990 series cars.

Larry
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.195.74.199
Posted on Tuesday, 25 May, 2004 - 09:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I believe you are talking about a Sanden compressor which I also have on my 20,000 series 1989 Spur. Its a Japanese unit.

Larry

Mark Vasquez
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 172.205.151.54
Posted on Wednesday, 28 July, 2004 - 10:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Gents, looking for a blower fan problem on a 1980 SSII T2. SRH 0040679. Auto climate control. I turn the switch from Low to Auto to High and all I hear is the clicking of relays, rotating the temp wheels has no effect.Fuses are ok.The fans operate on their own ok. I suspect the climate control may be the problem or the fan speed controller but dont know where to look. A wiring diagram or a description of the system inc component locations would be much appreciated. Mark..