Leaking rear ram line Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Leaking rear ram line « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sebastian Biwer
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 212.24.201.103
Posted on Monday, 27 February, 2006 - 20:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello, I want to present myself to this forum. I am an RR/ Bentley enthousiast from Luxembourg. I have yet to own my own RR/Bentley but a friend of mine gave me his 1991 Bentley Continental for storage during the winter and to look after smaller mechanical issues. I have a background as a hobby mechanic, engine and trans rebuilder mainly with US- and Mercedes cars.
The car suffers a tiny hydraulic leak at the left rear shock absorber/ ram. The leak is at the fitting where the green plastic line enters the brass fitting at the lower part of the shock. My question is now if this line/ fitting can be replaced separately, because to me it looks like the brass fitting is pressed into the shock absorber tube instead of being screwed in. I have worked with this kind plastic lines in the past and I know how they are assembled. I just wonder if the brass fitting has a thread that makes it possible to unscrew it from the tube, since it does not have a hex on it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, maybe someone even has the part number???

(Message approved by david_gore)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 964
Posted on Wednesday, 01 March, 2006 - 01:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The return fluid union is indeed pressed into the strut. Don't remove the strut. Simply wind the union to remove it, then reseal it. Do replace the rubber dust cover / boot at the same time if it is split: they are only available secondhand or new aftermarket to pattern from your local shock absorber and steering shop. Crewe does not sell them. Apply Loctite 633, and reinsert it through the hole in the boot, taking care not to pinch the boot against the union. Loctite 633 will fix it in place and seal it properly. This is a proper job and not just a patch. It only takes minutes if the boot is alright, and 30 minutes if you replace the boot. Aircraft are held together with this brilliant Loctite compound.

I used this exact method and Loctite 633 over 15 years ago on a Silver Spirit with a split boot, and it is still 100%.

RT.

Sebastian Biwer
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 212.24.201.73
Posted on Thursday, 02 March, 2006 - 06:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you very much Richard. Do you think I should order a new line? In fact, the leak is where the green plastic tube is is entering the brass fitting.
It is really a pleasure reading this forum, I am impressed by the hands-on mentality of the members and their very friendly/ polite attitude.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 966
Posted on Friday, 03 March, 2006 - 00:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If the leak is at the joint between the line and the union, the green line has probably split. In that case, and if the union is not leaking at the strut, then my pervious post is irrelevant, and you only need a new line.

Paul
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 172.203.98.94
Posted on Wednesday, 28 June, 2006 - 08:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes you can cange the green plastic tube,

Try
SPM 1290 olive x 2
SPM 1288 nut x 2
SPM2153 tube x 1

Hold things tightly with the right size spanners (Sounds obvious, but I've seen people snap the brass tube off the strut)

Best Regards, Paul Yorke