Overflow pipe ? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Overflow pipe ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Buckenham
Experienced User
Username: chris_buckenham

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, 22 October, 2012 - 03:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good evening everybody ,
When changing a rear engine mount on the car today I had quite a flow of LHM from one of the two pipes that come down the back of the engine bulkhead together and finish just above the inner sill on the left side of the car . The fluid came out when I raised the engine slightly to get the new mount in .
Are these overflow pipes from the LHM reservoirs ?
Thanks ,
Chris

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2690
Posted on Monday, 22 October, 2012 - 04:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris. No need for alarm. This has worried many an owner picky about not having low LHM quantities in the reservoirs. With just 100ml too much LHM in a reservoir some cars do what you are seeing as the levels indicated are rather conservative.

Indeed you are looking at is a pair of overflow pipes, draining at the sill near the LH side front door post. That is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Especially when the pressure is low in the system after standing for a while and the rear struts drop, the reservoirs become overfull. Furthermore, if the reservoirs are fully topped-up with the engine running (systems pressures at spec and spheres filled with maximum LHM), then the reservoirs can overflow just a little when the systems later depressurise after standing for some days as the LHM returns to its reservoir. It is even more acute if the car is placed on a ramp.

The answer is only to fill the reservoirs such that each just shows full with the motor running and add no more LHM until its green indicator ring drops.

RT.

Chris Buckenham
Experienced User
Username: chris_buckenham

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, 22 October, 2012 - 04:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard ,
Well thank you ,what a reply . That does explain everything . I am attending to the P and A Wood inspection list and a leaking water pump . The leak was small and started after a couple of screeches under the bonnet , but the seal was finished . It was not at all difficult to repair . The alternator bearings were also noisy so I have ordered a replacement using a thread of yours earlier . The part numbers on your box in the picture allowed me to track one down here for less than one third of the aftermarket guys price .
Thank you ,
Chris