Replacing struts Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Replacing struts « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

denis
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 64.12.116.142
Posted on Tuesday, 25 May, 2004 - 10:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good Day to everyone,
More tales of The Silver Sled. Lately whilst driving the Sled about I keep hearing a familiar sound from the back..."thunk, thunk, thunk" when I go over a bump or fail to negoiate a pothole. I know deep in my heart that the rear struts need to be replaced.
The workshop manual in wonderfully "understated" language has the removal of them seeming to be soooo easy. Before I dig myself too deep of a hole, has anyone done this themselves and what has been your experience in doing this?

Also to Bill Coburn, I would like to get a copy of your Tee One Topics. Please let me know how to aquire a copy.

Many thanks to all.

denis, Silver Shadow II aka The Silver Sled, SRL41534C

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, 26 May, 2004 - 17:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Denis send me your address and I'll put you on the mailing list. The only problems you may have with rear shock change is the rams rusted on to the upper spring carriers, having to remove the fuel tank can be time consuming (I assume it is LHD with the tank behind the seat) and lastly be sure you lift the car high enough to get the dampers out.

denis
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 64.12.116.142
Posted on Thursday, 27 May, 2004 - 10:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,
Yes it is LHD and the fuel tank is behind the rear seat.

Send me an email and I will forward my mailing address. AED51@AOL.COM

denis

denis
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 205.188.117.9
Posted on Saturday, 12 June, 2004 - 22:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Greetings to all,

Updates on the struts. I had the front one replaced by a local shop here. Having replaced similar devices in the past on my own, I vowed I wouldn't do it again. They passed on the oppertunity to do the rear ones.
I'm now nose deep in the manual, reading about the rear ones. It does seem so easy(?) according to the manual. Though they may have to wait a bit since next weekend is a wedding that I am involved in, and then here in Pittsburgh we will be having The Vinatge Grand Prix in mid July.
Hopefully before the end of summer I'll have a go at the rear struts.
Even with just the front ones replaced there is a difference. Watch for updates as they happen.

denis.....The Silver Sled, Shadow II SRL41534C