Passenger Door Will Not Open Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Passenger Door Will Not Open « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Ballard
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.54.177.143
Posted on Wednesday, 04 February, 2004 - 10:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all, the front passenger door on my 71 Shadow won't open, any clues? This happened once before and John Vawser gave it a huge tug and it opened, but no matter how hard I pull it remains shut, am I a weakling, or just not holding my mouth right?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 189
Posted on Wednesday, 04 February, 2004 - 17:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

Your door lock may be faulty but more likely the door alignment has changed for some reason - I would CAREFULLY use a wide lever with suitable padding to lift the door from the bottom of the door with the lock disengaged and see if the door will move off the striker plate. If not, I respectfully suggest you return to John Vawser or another R-R/B professional for help. The potential to damage the door is too great to contemplate "U-Do-It" procedures. The seat may have to be removed to allow access to the door trim from the opposite side of the car, remove the trim and then try to disengage the lock from inside the car. One for the experts I suggest unless you feel competent enough to have a go and accept responsibility if things do not go according to plan.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 195.93.33.11
Posted on Thursday, 05 February, 2004 - 03:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

get an assistant to press the outside handle and tug on the handle while you nudged the door from the inside with your shoulder.

Also check that the button on the handle is going in the same amount as the others.

Often these problems are caused by dry locks.

I use motor bike spray can chain oil.

If this does not release the door then the inside trim will have to be removed to cock the lock from the inside.

This is differcult because the door trim is larger than the hole it has to come past.

As Dave suggested best go to expert. It is so easy to damage trim. The seat is differcult to remove with out the door open. They are heavy.

Martin Taylor
Experienced User
Username: martin_taylor

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, 05 February, 2004 - 22:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This has happened in the past usually when an overzealous owner adjusts the lock catches too high. Use a trolley jack or similar to raise the left front corner of the vehicle about a foot (or more) above the ground, then push on the door. These cars don't flex much but this is usually enough to get the door moving unless the lock linkage has failed inside the door.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 195.93.33.11
Posted on Friday, 06 February, 2004 - 04:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Martin

Your posting brought back memories of Austin Allegros. If you jacked a corner up the doors would jam. The two door versions were better.

Martin Taylor
Experienced User
Username: martin_taylor

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, 08 February, 2004 - 21:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob, a neighbour had one of those, at the time I had an Alfa Sud Sprint, which used to flex as someone had cut a sunroof into it.
All cars will flex even a Rolls Royce.