Rain leaking into cabin Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Rain leaking into cabin « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

gef briggs
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.217.8.82
Posted on Monday, 23 August, 2004 - 13:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hello forum, recently acqired silver shadow 1970 #3559. has been garaged by previous owner, but checking it out i discerned a slight musty/mouldy sort of smell just under the accelerator pedal. the body is in top order being garaged all its life and the previous owner had the paint and body redone. i can't find any rust. but riding in the rain(it rains all the time in tas) it felt damp under the pedal,is there a notorious spot where i should start looking in order to rectify this before it becomes a problem. yours gratefully gef briggs gdaytassydevil@yahoo.com.au

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 233
Posted on Tuesday, 24 August, 2004 - 09:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well smelling the carpet under the accelerator pedal is a new fetish to me and I don't know of any precedent. I think there is a seal under the floor but I would also look for ingress from the back of the mudguard or from a pin hole in a body weld above the pedal. Please, while you are at it don't gloat about the rain just send it up here. Just the thought of getting the car wet with rain excites me although I would have to soak the wiper motor in WD40 to get the thing going again methinks!!

gef briggs
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 147.109.250.24
Posted on Tuesday, 24 August, 2004 - 13:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

thanks bill, reading a bit more of the forum and maybe if i get behind the dashboard is there a chance that the heating system has a leak somewhere as well and and that maybe a contibuting factor to the dampness.the snow is easing off a bit now so that the heaters aren,t so crucial now bye gef

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 236
Posted on Wednesday, 25 August, 2004 - 08:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Best way to test that circuit gef is to get your local radiator man to do a pressure test on the system. That will show up any leaks. You may care to send me an email to make contact.

Robert Perez
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Tuesday, 25 October, 2005 - 12:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I do have the same wet spot in my 1977 Silver Shadow II. It is particularly annoying when taking te car to get washed. I can hear the water tricking through my dashboard above the pedal. If anyone has any clues, please share. Thank You

(Message approved by david_gore)

Mark Herbstreit
Experienced User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, 26 October, 2005 - 23:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Shadow II's have a restrictor at the ends of the drain tubes that come out of each side of the heater box. It is very common for these to become blocked. When they do the water has nowhere to go but onto the front floor. The thick layer of sound deadening under the carpet means a lot of water can come in before you realise there is a problem.
The drain tubes are in the engine compartment low down near the 'chassis rails' on each side. the restrictors can be removed from the drain tube to clean. I left mine out without any noticable problem. There is also a number of rubber grommets that wiring looms etc. pass through that can become dislodged. If you are double jointed enough you can lie on your back under the steering column with a torch and shine it up along the fire wall to see if all is well!