Rear Height Control Rams Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Rear Height Control Rams « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

William H. Trovinger II
Prolific User
Username: bill_trovinger

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, 05 November, 2003 - 13:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have been told by Albers to use a hammer and chisel rather than the "hook wrench" called for in the workshop manual. I have gotten to this point however, have had no luck in proceeding past this point. There is a ring about 1/4" thick with tabs sticking off of it. I assume this is the piece that is to be loosed with the wrench, and needs to be turned counter-clockwise when looking down from above. Correct? However, just below it is a cast piece that as three fins on it. It appears that this is held into place by aforementioned ring? For clarification this is a '76 Shadow I SWB North American destination.

I hope that someone can help me with this.

Best regards,
Bill

William H. Trovinger II
Prolific User

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, 08 November, 2003 - 00:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had not received any response from any one with advice on the matter but, have solved the problem and figured I would post the results in case it may help someone else down the road. Yes, hammer and chisel are the correct tools. However, make sure that the chisel has a blunt end to save damage to the tabs. Also hammer is more then likely to light (at least in my case) a five pound sledge or air hammer is what was needed.

The item that appears to be a ring with tabs all the way around is the correct item to be hammering on. Both (left and right side) are removed in a counter-clockwise rotation when looking from above. On mine the left-hand's ram tube openings hits the rear shelf panel as they are pointing inward. If clearance allows you should attempt to turn the hosing 180 degrees before losing the ring. This could make the removal procedure much easier. When I replace mine I am hoping to re-route the tubing so the connections can be set outward, in case I ever need to do this again.

Additionally, I found it much easier to bring the car back down off the jack stands after de-pressurizing the system and before attempting this procedure.

Regards,
Bill

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 131
Posted on Saturday, 08 November, 2003 - 18:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Bill - could not help on this one as I haven't touched my rams - yet!!!

This info will be most useful and will save a couple of hours of frustration trying to overcome the problem.

William H. Trovinger II
Prolific User

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, 09 November, 2003 - 09:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, the saga has not ended yet. Having a real bugger trying to put the rams back in. Bill Coburn emailed me some advise and will be trying it tomorrow and will advise what worked!

Regards,
Bill