Under bonnet pads Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Under bonnet pads « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2267
Posted on Tuesday, 24 August, 2021 - 03:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'd like to renew the under bonnet insulation pads on my car. Does anyone know of the correct material to use? I want to keep the original look so cannot use the modern adhesive pads that you cut to shape. Flying Spares have a kit but I'd rather make my own. They do specify that theirs are manufactured with modern materials that replicate the orginals, so such materials are available.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3186
Posted on Tuesday, 24 August, 2021 - 07:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

I could have sworn that I kept information regarding the correct (as in looks correct and is fireproof) material for making the bonnet pads, but I can't find it right now. I'll keep looking.

I see that your query was answered elsewhere, at least in part. My addition is that I've known several people who've turned to their local auto upholstery shop or local quilters to remake these. They are not difficult, and having the originals to work with is enough to make patterns and to see how the quilting itself is done (and is easily replicated).

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2269
Posted on Tuesday, 24 August, 2021 - 09:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian

I recalled one of your entries in the forums giving information on the material to use. I could not find it despite numerous duckduckgo site: searches. I will look again later.

Your and Rob's replies have given me confidence to proceed. I think the next step is, as you say, take a pad off and look at the construction.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3996
Posted on Tuesday, 24 August, 2021 - 09:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

Is this the one you were looking for:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/31/36825.html

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3187
Posted on Tuesday, 24 August, 2021 - 11:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

It was not specifically, but it's a fabulous bit of history from the archive that's directly pertinent!

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2270
Posted on Tuesday, 24 August, 2021 - 14:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So much great information here - thank you.

I may take a small pad off tomorrow to plan the refurb - if I can stand the 100F temperature forecast.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2273
Posted on Friday, 27 August, 2021 - 02:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

All the bonnet pads I have seen are black in color. I'm wondering why mine are light gray. Could it be mine are a woven asbestos material? I need to know for obvious reasons. I'm looking for opinions on this.

a

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2274
Posted on Friday, 27 August, 2021 - 02:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Closer view (higher res)

a

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3194
Posted on Friday, 27 August, 2021 - 05:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

Those appear to me to be "first generation" replacements by someone.

The difference in the stitching is, to me, a dead giveaway. I can take photos of the pads in SRH33576 in a few moments, as I'm about to head out to get a few things and can post them later for you to compare to. I know they're original (and somewhat messy, as is to be expected).

The gray material does not look like any asbestos I've ever encountered. It's a lot more like fiberglass in its presentation and could not ever be woven that finely.

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2275
Posted on Friday, 27 August, 2021 - 05:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian

On closer inspection it does look like fiberglass as you mentioned. If you do have time to send a photo of your's it would be really helpful.

I believe vinyl could be used under the hood, specifically 9005 Black Arctic® Vinyl - I was concerned about it's heat resistant properties. Also aerospace heat insulator padding with heatshield for the sandwiched material as Rob used.

I'm slowly getting there.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3195
Posted on Friday, 27 August, 2021 - 07:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Photos from SRH33576:

Bonnet with full pad set

Left Side Pad

Front Pad

Right Side Pad

Rear Pad

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2276
Posted on Friday, 27 August, 2021 - 08:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian.

I was testing some vinyl earlier with a heat gun and then a naked flame. It passed both tests so I shall be proceeding that route. From the pics, it appears that that is the material RR used. I was thrown a little with my hood pads before you pointed out they were not originals.

Many thanks again for taking the pics - it is really useful.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: