E10 petrol Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » E10 petrol « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ascard
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 209.93.91.210
Posted on Sunday, 22 August, 2021 - 17:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Petrol stations in the UK are starting to introduce E10 petrol, which I understand is not good for older cars. Does anyone have any comments on how or what to look out for on my 1972 Shadow, SRH 13952.
Thanks Alan

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3993
Posted on Sunday, 22 August, 2021 - 21:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

If your car was sold new in Britain, it should have the 9:1 high compression engine and it will certainly require the Burlen conversion kits if you intend using E10 fuel to avoid fuel leaks.

It will require the fuel pumps and carburettors to be overhauled and E10 conversion kits installed. I suggest you will have to look carefully at the engine timing settings as this will depend on the octane rating of your E10 fuel.

The specified 9:1 engine static setting for 100 octane leaded petrol was 6 deg BTDC however I found this could be increased to 8 deg BTDC on DRH14434 [1973 build] for our 98 octane unleaded fuel without "pinging" being a problem.

Darryl Watson
Experienced User
Username: inox

Post Number: 169
Posted on Sunday, 22 August, 2021 - 23:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,
I've been using Shell V-Power for a while now in a 1990 SZ.
Recently our local Shell garage has placed a sign that with the introduction of E10 older cars should use V-Power.
p.s. I found that the engine runs better using V-Power.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2454
Posted on Monday, 23 August, 2021 - 06:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Or convert to LPG with all its benefits.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: