Viscous Fan Shadow 1 offer Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Viscous Fan Shadow 1 offer « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1759
Posted on Wednesday, 14 February, 2018 - 22:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Introcar have viscous fan coupling on offer for the Shadow 1 from chassis no 1128 to 26708 £49.95 + vat + carr = £67.94. retails at £172.38.
Just bought one for a spare at that price!

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 501
Posted on Thursday, 15 February, 2018 - 02:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the tip Patrick, just ordered one for my Shadow ( its been tired for years !)
Mark

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 711
Posted on Thursday, 15 February, 2018 - 03:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is that a "typo"? There was a change at about chassis 11,000 or so as I recall and if I am correct then this coupling is for the "later" Shadow I series rather than the "early" series. The later couplings are readily available, but it is the one for the early series (pre 11,000) that have been difficult to find.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1899
Posted on Thursday, 15 February, 2018 - 04:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian

I agree. Part number for the pre 11110 cars is UE32842. Post 11110 is UE37061. Flying Spares list the two viscous couplings. Looks like Introcar have made a mistake.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1900
Posted on Thursday, 15 February, 2018 - 04:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No problem for Mark as his car is the 75 model i.e. post 11110

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1760
Posted on Thursday, 15 February, 2018 - 21:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To clarify when ordering the chassis numbers are given as : Chassis Numbers 11111 - 26700 › VISCOUS FAN COUPLING. in black and white!
My order came today what good service.
Mark did you get the Bentley cap?

BTW Bentley Continental GTC front windscreen on sale @ introcar for £495.00 RRP £1662.14.
Pay to have it just for a spare if insurance cost is a no go with the excess etc.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 502
Posted on Friday, 16 February, 2018 - 00:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, coupling just arrived, no cap ! However, I can live without a cap, with a coupling at that price .
Pity radiators were not on offer, the rad in my Mulsanne has started to leak when cold. Recon rad from FS was cheaper and easier than repairing it. Job for next week.

Mark

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 712
Posted on Friday, 16 February, 2018 - 14:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just to clarify, when I said that the early (Pre 11,000) Shadow couplings were "hard to find" I was referring to a reasonably priced "substitute" of which apparently none have been located. Brian Vogel and others have discussed this at length in other past threads. In the case of the later Shadow I, here in the US apparently there are a number of substitute couplings (Hayden 2747 comes to mind) available for about $40US. Consult Brian's parts reference material for further details.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1762
Posted on Saturday, 17 February, 2018 - 09:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To clarify that not all Shadow 1 had the couplings fitted.
Standard cars from chassis number 1001 to 2389 had the set up in the following pix :

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 714
Posted on Saturday, 17 February, 2018 - 14:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Knowing that the lack of a lower priced substitute viscous coupling only applies to those of us who might need them, the fact that the very earliest Shadows are exempted from the problem is anecdotal but of little consolation.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1764
Posted on Saturday, 17 February, 2018 - 20:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Ah" if your early viscous coupling has gone wonky you could get over the problem by finding an early non viscous type assembly vin 1001- 2389 at a breakers yard.
This will get your car up and running without the thought of fan wrecking the rad or overheating etc.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 715
Posted on Saturday, 17 February, 2018 - 20:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is even easier than that. Simply have Kelly Opfar machine a solid spacer that takes the place of the coupling and fits between the fan and pulleys. Allegedly this is at the expense of additional fan noise (which is the stated reason RR introduced the coupling when they did), but at one point when I used a similar workaround to immobilize the coupling as an experiment (later problem was traced to loose belts) I did not perceive any significant additional fan noise. Noise is apparently in the ear of the beholder.

Martin Taylor
Prolific User
Username: martin_taylor

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, 17 February, 2018 - 23:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The fan coupling from introcar appears to be the same as the Hayden unit. The RR version has dead holes not slots.
The RR version is also almost silent until heated, the Hayden unit is much noiser even when cold.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: