Trunnion boots Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Trunnion boots « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 654
Posted on Monday, 04 December, 2017 - 01:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was under the Shadow a while back to finally replace the terrible splices I did to the wires to the fuel pump with proper ones. I saw a tear in the trunion boot on the drivers side of the differential. I pried it open with my finger and no oil came out. Ruh Roh. I put some grease in there which was better than the nothing it was running and likely to not run out the hole so quickly.

I ordered some boots from FS figuring if one was bad, the other is probably ready to break open too.

Can I just stretch the boot over the end of the axle with the little cross shaft left in place?

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1872
Posted on Monday, 04 December, 2017 - 02:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross

There are a lot of good threads on this very topic. Here are two from using:

[google] trunnion boot site:http://au.rrforums.net/

http://au.rrforums.net/cgi-bin/forum/discus.pl?pg=next&topic=17001&page=14657

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17001/19484.html?1458511511

Here are Paul's instructions:

The shaft splits inside the trunnion.

Just undo the outer shaft bolts and the large wire clip.

Lever off the outer caps and then lift the outer end of the shaft up above the disc and outwards.

The rubber boot will slip off the inner trunnion connected to the diff.

The outer and inner joints are full of roller bearings and cap. Tape them up to stop them going everywhere.

Omce on the floor you will see the T piece the boot has to stretch over.

Get the boot hot all the way through is key to not splitting it. That along with grease and NO SHARP or rough areas on the tool used to stretch it over..

I've never been tempted to push the pin out. Totally unnecessary in my experience.

Do it out in the hot air, not air conditioned. Wink.

Brian gives two links to articles in one of the threads above.

Geoff

Robert J. Sprauer
New User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, 04 December, 2017 - 05:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you don't push the rods out make sure you account for the shims on both sides. It is important for the rod to be centerd in the housing. I press out the rod/pin and I can usually get it perfectly centered. The boot is then slipped over a cone form over the ball endI with lube. It slips right over without any risk of damage to the boot. The boots are not cheap! Heating them and trying to stretch them in my opinion/experience is fruitless.

Robert J. Sprauer
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, 04 December, 2017 - 05:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also you have to fill the trunnion housing thru the small filler screw with 150ml of SAE 90. I use a squeeze bottle and hose.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1965
Posted on Monday, 04 December, 2017 - 18:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

'Usually get it centred' ?

Pushing the pin out to change the boot was abandoned almost straight away.

Boots supplied today are even more flexible than the ones supplied in the 70s.

Hot soaked boot, grease, no sharps. Put the shaft in a vice at 45 degrees. Slide it on. Slowly and sreadily. Like giving birth . . .Don't pop it over quickly.

Clean and check inside your trunnion for any sign of a ridge where the ball sits.

If it is pronounced and on the driven side, you may want to consider swapping the left and right trunnions over.

Any rust coloured debris should be especially thoroughly cleaned. Carb cleaner works well.

Robert J. Sprauer
New User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, 04 December, 2017 - 23:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes..I usually get it centered on the first try and measure both sides of pin exposure to make sure. Recent purchases of boots certainly were not flexible to the point of stretching them even in hot water. I would rather be safe and do the job properly if one has the resources and equipment to do so.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1966
Posted on Tuesday, 05 December, 2017 - 00:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Properly" LOL

Rolls-Royce Hythe Road had more than sufficient equipment and resources - But they soon stopped pushing pins.

And they were very careful to do jobs properly.

Each to their own I guess. :-)

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 884
Posted on Tuesday, 05 December, 2017 - 01:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert I am sure that you are capable of replacing a Detroit coupler boot properly!!!!
But Mister Yorke is a professional Rolls Royce Automobile Engineer and I have replaced quite a few of these boots using the method quoted above with 100% success, as have lots of people using this forum.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1873
Posted on Tuesday, 05 December, 2017 - 03:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We are so fortunate on this forum to have a professional of Paul's standing helping us.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 639
Posted on Tuesday, 05 December, 2017 - 04:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If despite best efforts anyone should still manage to tear a boot during assembly, I would be interested in purchasing it for a modest fee plus shipping. Thanks.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Tuesday, 05 December, 2017 - 08:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Done many types over the years but the RR with the correct tools can be a doddle.
did my SS1 six years ago with this air boot expander.

Fitting the trunnion joint making sure the trunnion buttons are in line before fitting shaft to trunnion joint body on car.

Pix of the boot retracted to a good fit on shaft.

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, 05 December, 2017 - 11:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I believe that SAE90 is the correct oil for the trunnions. I seem to be losing a little oil from the left side but there's no sign of a leak, maybe it's escaping into the diff, must check. I have a thicker oil SAE140 in the shed, it says on the can "non-automotive use". I use it in a rotovator gearbox. Anyone know if SAE140 is suitable for trunnions? Just thinking that it would be less inclined to leak as it's slightly thicker but don't know if it could cause damage if I squirt a drop into the trunnions. If it leaked into the diff would it cause wear? Just wondering if anyone has an opinion.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Tuesday, 05 December, 2017 - 17:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

IMO I would keep to SAE 90, using SAE140 could be to thick allowing the oil on a cold day to collect in one position in the boot, this in turn may cause an unbalance and not allow the oil to circulate where it is needed.

BTW, once topped up recheck after a short run when cold as the oil will find places within when revolving.

Larry are you related to any of the Kavanagh folk in Dorset.

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, 06 December, 2017 - 06:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Patrick, I'll stick to SAE90. I don't think I've any relatives in Dorset. I've many relatives in the UK but they are mostly Dohertys from the mother's side. I'm Irish born & bred.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 657
Posted on Wednesday, 06 December, 2017 - 10:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,

I will do it warm with the pin in.

Patrick L,

Looks like you greased them before installing them. Any reason for that ?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Wednesday, 06 December, 2017 - 16:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, a little grease to hold things in place, from practice with UJ's etc over the years.

BTW I still have some Standard Fordson water pump grease, thick, sticks like sh-t on a blanket and holds things in place on hard to get at places before assembly.
IE heads of bolts on a screwdriver blade!

BTW if you use the air exspander use just four fingers using a controlled low regulator air setting for slow expansion of the boot.
Whole job takes no more than an hour a side if you have the use of a lift hoist.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1369
Posted on Thursday, 07 December, 2017 - 05:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Robert,
Like you - I also thought that the task was impossible. There simply isnt enough flex (or so it appears) until you bite the bullet. I used spoons and vaseline and enlisted the help of daughters and wife. I managed to do the rubbers on both trunions even though I had never done the job before.
Good luck.
Omar

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 888
Posted on Thursday, 07 December, 2017 - 09:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar you are a cad, I can see you sitting there giving instructions to your three Female assistants, And you sipping a nice glass of Somerset Cider.

Richard.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, 07 December, 2017 - 13:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar....necessity is the mother of invention...good to see you got the job done.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Friday, 08 December, 2017 - 02:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Richard,
You have hit the nail on the head mate.
I made it their challenge and they wouldn't let it go. As I was at home at the time (and not in a bar with you getting sloshed.... again.....) I stayed on the sobering cokes.... and then like a miracle - the boot went on.

Roll on November for a repeat session of our beverage consumption memories one more time.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: