Wiring harness and bulkhead connectors Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Wiring harness and bulkhead connectors « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thomas Hoeller
Yet to post message
Username: thomash

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, 01 March, 2024 - 18:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hello everybody

over the decades there where so many funny guys "repairing" the engine bay electric at my shadow II. now i decided to give it a new wiring harness , in fact i found three if them. will manufacture them myself, so i did to my Jensen Interceptor .

is there a table of the required colours and sizes somewhere?

and where do i get new multiconnectors for the bulkhead ?

the connectors at harness i made myself by 3d printing. they work fine.

cheers
thomas

Thomas Hoeller
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, 01 March, 2024 - 18:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

her is the connectors at harness side

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 847
Posted on Friday, 01 March, 2024 - 21:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Everything regarding the wiring can be found in the intro within the Electrical section of the workshop manual. Remember there are left hand versions. The intro shows, color,size, plug points, etc.
Manuals are listed in the technical library on the homepage.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3363
Posted on Saturday, 02 March, 2024 - 04:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not that what Mr. Sprauer has said is not absolutely correct, but I have a table of how the wire colors are denoted in the diagrams that may be handy to post here, so I will:

Wire Color Key
B Black
G Green
K Pink
N Brown
P Purple
R Red
S Slate (Grey)
U Blue
W White
Y Yellow
Insulation Type
C Cotton
P Plastic

Also, although the following applies to the 1974/75 model years, a very great deal of this carries over to the SY2 series cars, too: Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow Wiring Colors for Model Years 1974 & 75). There's a lot of additional information in that file other than what I posted above.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2345
Posted on Saturday, 02 March, 2024 - 06:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is it possible to buy color coded wire for car looms? All the companies I've checked on the web only offer single color wire. For example, is it possible to buy red wire with a blue stripe. Just curious.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3364
Posted on Saturday, 02 March, 2024 - 08:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

It's possible to find wire with virtually any insulation color or color combination you can name if you search hard enough. It's the "magic search terms" that are the trick.

I used "stripe" and "tracer" in searches, e.g., automotive wire red with white tracer, and got things back like:

Automotive wire with color tracer on eBay

16 AWG TXL Primary Automotive Wire, Stranded Copper, Orange w/ Yellow Stripe, Sold by the Foot (they've also got many other colors in solid, and more in striped. see: https://www.customconnectorkits.com/product-listing/all-wire).

Look at all that comes back from this DuckDuckGo Shopping web search on [automotive wire striped]

There seems to be an awful lot of cloth covered wire with stripes meant for vintage restorations, but there's plenty with plastic insulation, too.

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2346
Posted on Saturday, 02 March, 2024 - 09:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for that Brian. I will check out the links. Very useful for when I'm replacing wires.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3365
Posted on Saturday, 02 March, 2024 - 09:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

By the way, types of automotive wiring is "not my thing" so I just did some research.

It's worth having a look at SELECTING THE IDEAL AUTOMOTIVE WIRE: TXL VS. GXL VS. SXL
and/or
What are the Differences between the Types of Primary Automotive Wires?
and/or
Selecting Automotive Wire
and/or
Wire Selection Guide

And there are hundreds more. I certainly never knew about the PVC versus crosslinked polyethylene insulation properties.

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2347
Posted on Saturday, 02 March, 2024 - 09:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks again Brian. I've saved all that info - as you know I'm a documentation nerd

Thomas Hoeller
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, 02 March, 2024 - 18:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

thank you all.

have the colour codes.

but where is a list of required cables with basic colour, additional colour and wire size?

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 848
Posted on Saturday, 02 March, 2024 - 22:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As I mentioned. It is right here in the beginning.

https://rrtechnical.info/sy/tsd2476/14.pdf

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2348
Posted on Sunday, 03 March, 2024 - 02:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Thomas

There isn't a list per se. You will need to reference the wiring diagram for your model and compile your own list. The relevant wiring diagram will be contained in the link Robert has pointed to. Also, earlier Brian gave a link to the wiring colors for the 74/75 models. Although this is not your model year most of the colors will be the same. I think the wiring diagram is probably the most definitive source.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3366
Posted on Sunday, 03 March, 2024 - 03:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's also important to pay attention to the wiring diagram key page:
Wiring Diagram Color Code and Wire Size Key

that's page 4 in TSD2476 that Robert Sprauer gave the link to earlier.

The wire size designations do not correspond to modern ones in AWG or (at least conveniently) mm. That 14 strand at 0.01 in per strand gets you a 0.14 in twisted strand (approximately). That's 7 gauge AWG wire or 3.66 mm cross section. If I'm wrong about this, someone tell me how this should translate, as I can't figure out what the 120 strand wire would be in today's terms. I'm happy to be corrected.

I find this page (and the chart pages that go with it) really helpful in these instances:
https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/wire/wire-gauge-chart.html

There are others, too.

Brian

Thomas Hoeller
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, 03 March, 2024 - 17:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

geoff and brian, most helpfull! thanks a lot!

as i am german i will go for qmm wire size. Connector and Crimping pliers where may more available roijd her and perfectly match, to make connectors most reliable.

but i still have issues sourcing the old multiconnectors. Where do get your connectors from?

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 849
Posted on Sunday, 03 March, 2024 - 21:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The multi connectors are not likely exclusive to RR. I have not chased down the company who made them. I have often wanted to make test cables using old looms, but found the cost prohibitive since sellers were selling the loom vs the connectors.Release keys are helpful when working or rebuilding the cables. A company in the business of making new auto harnesses should be able to match up the colors and provide bulk cable.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: