Vacuum (Shadow II) Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Vacuum (Shadow II) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Frequent User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 221
Posted on Thursday, 03 September, 2020 - 04:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Would anyone know how much vacuum a 1980 Shadow's engine should produce?

Thanks!

Richard

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Monday, 07 September, 2020 - 22:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

I'm surish my 1970 vacuum readings would be identical to yours.

I'll try and get a gauge on my car later.

I forget what it read, but I would think 20 in or do at idle. Maybe 21.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Monday, 14 September, 2020 - 07:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just measured the vacuum with a warm engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvjqVXT-9XI

Richard Greene
Frequent User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 222
Posted on Monday, 14 September, 2020 - 09:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross,

A HUGE thank you for your time to check the vacuum! Really appreciate the video!

I just bought a 80 Wraith with severe brake problems! The owner almost gifted me the car. My mechanic wants to use it to convert the system to standard brakes. If anyone can, he will. I will update in a separate thread the progress. His only concern was the vacuum;therefore, my question.

Thanks again!

Richard

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Monday, 14 September, 2020 - 10:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

First, that car is gorgeous and getting it for a song means I ofically hate you. Sorry.

Second, Before you get on to converting the brakes, I would suspect that you are not that far out on getting the actual brakes working. Looking at that car, it is not as bad as you think.

Third, While you have enough vacuum to run a vacuum booster, IF you went the replacing the brakes route, you really should use a GM hydroboost system rather than a vacuum diaphragm system. The pressure will be much closer to the original. The car probably has a saginaw pump which means all standard GM fittings.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2082
Posted on Monday, 14 September, 2020 - 15:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have seen Shadows converted to booster systems and every time this has resulted in disaster.
Fix the original system or scrap the car. There is no alternative.
Thanks
Omar

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2225
Posted on Monday, 14 September, 2020 - 16:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree with Omar and can't help thinking how much easier it would be to simply repair the existing system.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2083
Posted on Monday, 14 September, 2020 - 17:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You are totally right Geoff. The system is much easier to repair than to replace. Even if every single component is overhauled.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3787
Posted on Monday, 14 September, 2020 - 17:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Having done a complete Shadow hydraulic system overhaul, it is not as difficult as you might think provided you use the Workshop manual TSD4200 available for free download from the Technical Library and the resources of this forum when in doubt:

http://rrtechnical.info/SY/TSD4200/tsd4200.html

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 666
Posted on Tuesday, 15 September, 2020 - 09:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would also recommend servicing the existing hydraulic brake system, it's the easiest option and avoids devaluing the car.

Kelly Opfar
Frequent User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 256
Posted on Tuesday, 15 September, 2020 - 09:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, I'm in the USA and I can help you get your brake components in working order. Email me:
Kelly@BritishToolWorks.com

http://BritishToolWorks.com

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1484
Posted on Tuesday, 15 September, 2020 - 11:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

What is the braking system currently doing?

Is it intact and complete?

If the underside of that car is as clean at the top I bet it would be a honey to work on.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: