Compliant suspension Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Compliant suspension « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Beech
Grand Master
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 347
Posted on Tuesday, 25 April, 2017 - 21:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In another thread Patrick Lockyer wrote in part . . . "The Shadow built before August 1972 did not have compliant suspension this was mainly due to the use of cross ply tyres. The cars suspension at the time was designed just for them. Fitting the then new radial tyres steel or nylon braced caused other problems that were and were not cross ply related. To address the failings RR developed the compliant suspension this removed the harsh ride and tyre noise with a far better steering feel and more for its day.

. . . I would like more info about this, please.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Wednesday, 26 April, 2017 - 08:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,

Here are some images

Original suspension up to chassis 13485 (according to FS)

Compliant suspension after chassis 13485

Then Silver Shadow II

I will try to locate better images of the compliant suspension.

John Beech
Grand Master
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 353
Posted on Wednesday, 26 April, 2017 - 12:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Patrick. This is interesting. What seems to have happened was an update to the suspension due to the newly popular radial tire. The upside is greater performance but with a downside compared to the then traditional bias ply tire of a significantly harsher ride. In essence, they re-tuned the suspension. Do you know if the updates are limited to rubber components, and can these bits be retrofitted to earlier cars? Anyway, thanks again!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Wednesday, 26 April, 2017 - 13:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Check out the different control arms John,
Its completely different.

You need to retro fit the entire sub frame.

I've driven both,
And I have no desire or need to change mine.

I drive my car accordingly.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 593
Posted on Wednesday, 26 April, 2017 - 15:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John...
What you are chasing is a solution is search of a problem. I have driven all three and while technically different, to the driver the difference is basically imperceptible and thus is irrelevant. Yours is of the early pattern, as is my MPW Coupe, and I can assure you that if you owned your Shadow from new and you had no idea that there were to be changes in later years, you would never complain, as in, muttering that you do not like the suspension. Knowing nothing else, your reaction would be (especially compared to the previous Cloud and Dawn chassis) "I Love It!" rather than "I can hardly wait for a different suspension version to come out in a few more years." My suggestion is to stop worrying and stop desiring to retrofit things that already work just fine as designed.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Wednesday, 26 April, 2017 - 17:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Going on the scope of updates by members on this forum the list is endless unless the car is a show Queen!
This can be called progress as new development of products and design become available.
LEDs being one of the latest!
I however try to keep most updates Ie LPG, pitman arm [loss of steering], rear spring helpers for towing, all changeable back to how the car was originally, apart from I hope the perfect leather
interior, must get going with that.
Folk have changed engines for better or worse.
Suspension and old type steering box could be changed together with the vented brake discs the list is endless.
The tacky reverse boot lights could be moved to updated rear light clusters with the fitment of a s/h boot.
I have removed the add on tacky fog lights on my Shadow 2 and use one of the reverse lights as the fog.

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 187
Posted on Wednesday, 26 April, 2017 - 20:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My view is don't bother. I have driven all early, starting in 65/66 cars on cross ply and radials (which were a cost option) pre-compliant and compliant. The average person (I include myself in this) would not really know the difference apart from radials grip the road SO MUCH better than cross ply's in rain.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1801
Posted on Wednesday, 26 April, 2017 - 20:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Do you know if the updates are limited to rubber components, and can these bits be retrofitted to earlier cars? Anyway, thanks again!"

NO, but if you're thinking of going to that trouble . . fit a Shadow II subframe with rack and pinion steering. :-)

I would add though . . . A Harvey Bailey Handling Package would go down a treat :-)

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Wednesday, 26 April, 2017 - 20:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I shall keep neutral on all this as so many have carried out mods.
PROGRESS with time with these old motors.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: