Lacquer paint for a 1969 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Lacquer paint for a 1969 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 291
Posted on Thursday, 06 April, 2017 - 12:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So Tootsie has a few small chips in her paint where the odd bit of gravel has bounced off the body. Nothing major but they offend my eye so I stopped in at my local PPG paint supply and gave them the data I had for Tootsie.

RR code: 9510026
Description: Astrakhan
Supplier: ICI
Supplier's code: M062-4848

. . . turns out all they wanted was 9510026. Types it into the computer and says, 1969-72 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, right? Says he doesn't have enough yellow but can have it for tomorrow. Anyway, a half-pint is $70, a pint is $106, and a quart is $160. The reducer (lacquer thinner but slower than the ordinary type used for clean up) is pricey at $28/qt (the recommended mix is 1:1.5). But then he suggests I bring the fuel door so they can color match that with the computer. Says he can give me a better match this way. I believe him. Anyway, I degreased the area, sanded and applied spot putty (lacquer base). Sanded and sprayed gray lacquer primer (sandable type - from a spray can). I mention this because I read in a thread where someone said lacquer paints were no longer available stateside - not true.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1369
Posted on Thursday, 06 April, 2017 - 23:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Afixed to the under side of the hood is a plate with the paint codes on it. 2 numbers if both the same then the car is a single color. the top number is the top colour and the bottom is the bottom colour.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Friday, 07 April, 2017 - 07:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very interesting findings there John,

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2252
Posted on Saturday, 08 April, 2017 - 02:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,

There are many localities where the use of lacquer is no longer legal.

It can definitely still be found, but most times people are not talking about touchups they're planning to do themselves but about full resprays.

You'd be hard pressed (though I doubt it's impossible, just difficult) to find a shop that sprays lacquer these days.

I just posted an image of the paint/trim code plate from SRH33576 on rollsroyceforums.com. Here it is for reference here. Notice that what RNR mentioned is true for this plate. I'll have to get a shot of the one from LRK37110, which is a two-tone car, at some point.

Paint Code Plate

Brian

Mark Luft
Experienced User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, 11 April, 2017 - 04:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Original Lacquer paint was of Nitrocellulose composition. Hard to find, harder to find someone to paint. In the 60's-70's there was acrylic Lacquer, tougher finish, easy to paint. That you can still find and still find someone to paint it.
At least in the states.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: