Tootsie's vanity plate Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Tootsie's vanity plate « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 174
Posted on Saturday, 21 January, 2017 - 05:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So upon purchase of my new to me Rolls-Royce, I go to the license plate office to pay the taxes and fees incumbent on me to complete the transfer of Tootsie into my legal care. While there I opt for a vanity plate and because 'Tootsie' is already taken, decide instead on 'SRX6816'. This, of course, is her serial number. After the usual delay because the plates are custom made versus simply being the next one to come off the top of the pile, it means there's been an interval during which she's been fitted with a conventional number plate. Anyway, her custom plate has finally arrived and will soon be fitted. What do you think, have I been overly foolish in farting away a bit of money? In my defense, these plates only costs an additional $15/year above the regular fees so it's not like it's a very large added variable expense. Anyway, I'm not so secretly quite pleased with it, which is why I share this with you. Any others with vanity plates?
Tootsie's new license plate
- SRX6816 . . . for the cognoscenti, this will have some meaning ;>)

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Saturday, 21 January, 2017 - 06:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

very nice John.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1563
Posted on Saturday, 21 January, 2017 - 06:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John

In answer to your question of whether you are wasting your money I would say no, you are not. $15 per year is well worth it for something you will enjoy.

Our UK members may smile at all this - personalized plates in the UK cost a fortune. For anyone interested in Formula 1 racing, the UK plate "F1" is still available. A snip at £12,250,270.83.

Geoff

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 495
Posted on Saturday, 21 January, 2017 - 06:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John...
The only downside is that absolutely no one other than you will understand the significance of the plate. I got "AG SPUR" for my '86 Silver Spur (AG=Silver) and NO one understood, and most though I was a farmer.."agricultural"...so I changed to SLVRSPR, but folks still give it a blank stare. No creativity...

Patrick Francis
New User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, 21 January, 2017 - 07:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think its great! Makes you feel good inside, puts a smile on your face. Might make some people wonder what the significance is. Others will know and nod.
In life, it is the little things that count.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2381
Posted on Saturday, 21 January, 2017 - 07:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,

Be being thankful you do not live in NSW Australia - our current personalised plates have an initial one-off order fee of $AUD250 to $AUD600 plus an annual fee of $AUD104 for personalised plates and $AUD448 for custom plates.

The range of plates currently available are in the attached brochure. Our State Government initially issued the plates at a one-off cost and the purchaser had ownership. When these plates began to be sold at extremely high prices, the Government saw the lost revenue, stopped selling ownership of the plates and issued them under licence with an annual fee and the plates had to be returned for reissue to another owner when they were no longer required by the original purchaser.

application/pdfNSW MyPlates
myplates-product-brochure.pdf (5660.0 k)

P.S. John - I like your plate and I would not be concerned if it is unintelligible to most observers; only the people that matter will understand what it means .

Patrick Francis
Experienced User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, 21 January, 2017 - 09:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SRH 17968
OK folks - on a similar vein, I have a question.
I had to put a steel plaque next to my number plate with three letters that identifies which country in Europe the car is registered in. (Required by law)
Since I did not want to have to drill or stick it on, I decided to stick some magnets on the back of the plate, covered in tank tape so as not to damage the paintwork, and place it in position that way.
I find that no part of the boot will the magnet stick to. It will stick to the wings, bumpers, and other bodywork, but not the boot.
Are the boots on any Shadow ones made of aluminium, or is there another reason.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1564
Posted on Saturday, 21 January, 2017 - 09:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

Yes, The boot, bonnet and doors are aluminium.

Geoff

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Saturday, 21 January, 2017 - 15:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Patrick,
I use silicone glue for so many applications. This stuff is really strong. I would use that.
This stuff is used to hold together aquariums - so water is not an issue. I have used it to hold a 22" TV on the glass screen in one of my VW buses and so many more applications.
Omar

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 920
Posted on Saturday, 21 January, 2017 - 22:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,

That plate is totally awesome.
Love the colours, love the idea.

You mentioned that no one knows what it means?

Well the most important people in the world know!!!!

You, and all of us here on the forum. Don't worry about the rest

John,
We need a good pic of your car with the plates fitted.
A nice frame would look great.

I searched for months before I found a frame I really liked.
I fitted the same type of frame to my Chev & Shadow.

Here is my Chevrolet plate.
Let's see if you guys know much about vintage chevrolets

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 109
Posted on Saturday, 21 January, 2017 - 23:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is GZU7, my 1932 20/25 HP:

In the middle the old British registration, right the country code for Switzerland, left the actual license plate.
CH stands for Confoederatio Helvetica, BE stands for Bern.
In Switzerland number plates stay with the owner, not with the car.

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 149
Posted on Sunday, 22 January, 2017 - 11:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John, I think the plate is awesome. I wanted to get SRE24700 on my vanity plate but Utah only allows 7 characters.
They did have this available though:
Rolls license plate
I had a custom British plate made to match for the front (not actually legal of course).

Now for the bad news. Utah only allows an owner to retain the rights to their vanity plate if the car is licensed and registered every year. Since my car is still being restored, I've lost the rights to this plate combination and somebody else got them. You would think that money is the issue, but it's not. I'd be perfectly willing to pay the taxes and associated fees every year to keep my plates. There is just no bureaucratic mechanism in place for car nuts like me to be able to do that.

The same thing happened to my Camaro:
Camarol license plate
I lost the rights to these when I had the engine out for a rebuild. I sometimes see a red Porsche cruising around with my Camaro plates.

BritishToolWorks.com

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Sunday, 22 January, 2017 - 13:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Kelly,
We used to have a similar system here but we dont any more. We now own our numbers whether they are on a roadworthy car or not.
When we had your system of "use it or lose it" we would remove the plates from a car that we know will be off the road for more than a few weeks and put the same plate on any old every day car. Now that can be your neighbours car or your brothers car and so on. Then when we want it back on the real thing - simply undo the previous transaction.
Is that possible within your system?

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, 23 January, 2017 - 14:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, I don't know how Utah law stands currently, it's been over a decade since I last checked. I had a rather lengthy conversation with the superintendent of the Division of Motor Vehicles when it was time to register the unregisterable Rolls to no avail.
It hadn't occurred to me at the time to ask about transferring the plates to one of my other cars. It would have been unintentionally comical to place the "Rolls" plates on my Ford Explorer - which is said to do this on occasion...
explorer rollover
(not mine)

BritishToolWorks.com

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1565
Posted on Monday, 23 January, 2017 - 14:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Kelly

Rolls plate on a Ford Explorer - you would probably have got a lawsuit from Ford. They are still very sensitive about it.

A friend of mine from the UK looked round the tires on my Explorer to check it hadn't got Firestones on before getting in it. It had Michelins so all was ok.

I had a rear tire shredded by a piece of scrap metal that had blown off a truck as I was over taking it. 65 mph and the Explorer behaved impeccably as I navigated across 3 lanes to the hard shoulder (whilst cursing the Nevada authorities for allowing trucks to travel without secured loads.) Shows that the Explorer is now sorted.

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 929
Posted on Monday, 23 January, 2017 - 17:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Guys
You have the luxury of quite cheap car registrations.

Our registrations here are horrendously expensive.

My Shadow is now ready for registration, which is every 12 months.

The government charges are:
Registration fee $64.00
Motor vehicle tax. $448.00
Annual plate fee. $104.00

Sub total. $616.00

Then there is a compulsory third party insurance:
CTP $640.00

Grand total. $1,256.00

In regards to plates.
We can store them at the registration office for up,to 2 years.
But you still need to pay the $104.00 plus a handling fee.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: