1968 Hydramatic Shifts Hard in Third Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » 1968 Hydramatic Shifts Hard in Third « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Janne Aittola
New User
Username: jannea

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, 26 July, 2019 - 06:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Silver Shadow 1968 transmission is working quite well, but having hard shifts in third.

I have changed oil and adjusted micro adjuster which helped only a bit.

I wonder if control linkage re-adjustment helps or should I have a larger transmission rebuild or is this just a common feature of old Hydramatics?

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=105057.0

-janneA, Finland

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 355
Posted on Friday, 26 July, 2019 - 08:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Janne, I once owned a 68 shadow sold it almost 2 years ago. I lived with a rough gear change for years , till I had the confidence to adjust the control linkage at distributor cap area on acceleration linkage.. with good effect. It did however take some time to "perfect", same ie slight adjustment. .drive ..adjust ..drive etc etc

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3403
Posted on Friday, 26 July, 2019 - 09:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I remember driving early Holdens in the country with the first 4 speed Hydramatic transmission and these always seemed to have a harsh 3rd gear engagement/release.

By way of explanation, I think this was largely due to the country dealer mechanics not having much experience with adjusting the "new fangled" automatic transmissions during routine servicing as there were special tools required for this adjustment.

When a new car purchase was being considered, male drivers invariably wanted a manual transmission whereas most females were more inclined to choose an automatic transmission [I will leave it to your imagination to work out how the final choice was often influenced!!!!].

gordon le feuvre
Frequent User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 307
Posted on Friday, 26 July, 2019 - 17:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Janne, you do not say whether car is 4 speed hyrdramtic -has R,N,4,3,2, on selector or 3 speed GM400 with P,R,N,D,I,L
If 4 speed always issues with 2-3 change -on light throttle about 14-16 mph.
There are adjustments in the box, and on vertical vernier linkage at rear of distributor. As David Gore says, this takes time and patience to achieve good change. The vernier has right and left hand thread, so turning it effectively shortens or lengthens rod that connects carbs to gearbox, thereby altering the gearbox pressure relative to the amount of throttle. If you search this Forum, under post war technical is the correct manual for 4 speed boxes. Read the section on adjustments.

Janne Aittola
New User
Username: jannea

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, 26 July, 2019 - 21:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you all for your advice and I will get ready to start to re-adjust the control linkage.

And in my car (SRH4076) is the old 4-speed Hydramatic which I forgot to mention.

-janneA/Finland

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: