CRH 3529 Corniche Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » CRH 3529 Corniche « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 602
Posted on Wednesday, 28 September, 2016 - 09:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Possums and number crunchers. What is it. Its blue rusty and seized at Gullwing in NY. Is it a Corniche yes or no?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1646
Posted on Wednesday, 28 September, 2016 - 09:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

CRH ???

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 384
Posted on Wednesday, 28 September, 2016 - 10:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir...
Not a Corniche but rather a distressed early Mulliner-Park Ward Coupe (MPW Coupe). The Corniche name did not come about until 1971 as I recall. Chassis component is "C" for "coupe". "G" is a misprint.

Moderator Advice: have corrected chassis number. Christian you are correct with the MPW Coupe name as the Corniche name was not used prior to the 1971 restructuring after the RB211 jet engine development cost crisis which lead to the nationalisation of Rolls-Royce Ltd and the eventual sale of the car division in 1973.

Grand Master

Post Number: 603
Posted on Wednesday, 28 September, 2016 - 10:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So Christian that plaque on the boot? Can you read it? Is it a falsy. Paul I will look at that body plaque again. Is it a rare car as M P W coupe?

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 386
Posted on Wednesday, 28 September, 2016 - 11:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir...
I saw that as well and my assessment is that it has been glued on by a later owner who got tired of answering the question "Is that a Corniche?" I have a '66 MPW and get it a lot, because the car looks just like the later Corniche, and IS actually an early hardtop example of what later became the Corniche...actually the Corniche is the subsequent designation for the MPW.
I am not a purist, so I am not sure if the Corniche really only referred to the drop head and the term "Coupe" was retained for the hardtop variant, or whether the term "Corniche" applied to both, i.e. Corniche Drophead, and Corniche Coupe.
I am of the same weave as Omar regarding such things, the details are not as relevant as the pleasure that having and driving them provides.
The one thing that is sure is that the term "Corniche" did not apply to ANYTHING prior to the adoption of that name in 1971, or whenever. The purists will be able to advise. Is it possible that the drophead version did not exist earlier and the term "Corniche" was adopted as the name for the drophead version of the MPW Coupe when it was introduced? Again, the purists will know.

Photos of my typical MPW Coupe, 1966, CRX2541:

Grand Master

Post Number: 604
Posted on Wednesday, 28 September, 2016 - 19:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tell you what Christian, I hate the blue paint on that car in NY and totally giggle at the MPH versus Corniche caper but when I saw the photos of your car I thought yeehaa and I have only been to Texas once.

Check out the yap on MPW Coupe on Wikipedia. Either you have to put them right or we need to get Snowdon to fix them. Hmmm I wonder if the lad is enjoying the Russian winters!!!!

As for the convertible what were they thinking???
All baggy yuk town and a total destruction of the lines. What what !!

The Cadillac limo was three sixty miles away so I never got back to you.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2073
Posted on Thursday, 29 September, 2016 - 00:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

There existed a MPW Shadow DHC before the Corniche designation as well.

As to "what were they thinking?!!," I have always preferred the DHC to the FHC. It was very common prior to and during the era in which these cars were designed to have a "top stack" when the top was down, and not just for cars from Crewe. That has never bothered me at all and looks "appropriate" for lack of a better term. The trend of making tops either stow below the body line, but still with a tonneau cover, or the hard deck cover, came much later. That top stack can also help to mitigate wind buffeting for the rear passengers.

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 833
Posted on Thursday, 29 September, 2016 - 02:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Christian,
Your MPW Coupe is exquiste. Lovely lovely interior. Has it been restored or is it a time warp car?
Omar

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 391
Posted on Thursday, 29 September, 2016 - 17:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar...
Original Interior. Exterior repainted with original color scheme, pinstriped, about 15-20 years ago. Time flies.

Vladimir...
Some of the salient features of the very early Shadows are the expansive wood dash and chrome knobs, uncluttered engine compartment absent emission controls, and not a computer or ECU to be found anywhere.
On the MPW, notice how the wood on the dash feathers into the cap rails on the doors. As to the chrome dash knobs, in the case of a collision event where one's head would make contact with them, worse is to think about what the grill and front end of the car will look like! Horrors!

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Friday, 30 September, 2016 - 04:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Check out the James Young coupe 50 made

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 517
Posted on Friday, 30 September, 2016 - 07:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian,
Quite a magnificent looking car. Congratulations. You should be proud.
Love the colour.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: