Doorcap fault Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Doorcap fault « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Ford
Experienced User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, 13 October, 2016 - 13:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is one fault that is really bugging me, I purchased car with this problem. Plus a couple of others. Now to work out who can sort this in NSW, Australia. Bentley Turbo RL Doorcap

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 570
Posted on Thursday, 13 October, 2016 - 19:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan,

Give TK Motors at Mossvale a call.
I've seen many door capings they have done and the work is fantastic.

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, 13 October, 2016 - 20:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks again Patrick :-) I will most certainly do that.

Cheers.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 571
Posted on Thursday, 13 October, 2016 - 22:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

They will look fantastic when done Alan.
Does any other timber need restoring?

The car looks great.
Does she get along well?

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, 13 October, 2016 - 23:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

yes, Patrick the dash has cracks through it. But you need to look hard to see them, to be honest I haven't yet looked closely at the other door caps, at a glance they seem ok. Its my intention to restore this car to its former glory but that will take me time and of course the necessary $$$$$
The colour of the car is Balmoral Green.Not sure what the seats are yet.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 576
Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2016 - 07:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Keep us posted as to your progress Alan,
We love seeing a car brought back to its former glory.

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2016 - 08:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My self and a good friend had a close look at the door cap early this morning. We are 99% sure what has peeled off or snapped off appears to be stained clear built up over many layers. Has anyone else found this? Plus if it is stained clear does anyone know what colour stain it is? I cant make the door cap much worse than what it is so I am going to have a crack at sorting it myself. If that fails I will seek out the fellow that Patrick recommended.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1667
Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2016 - 09:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan,

It is indeed the lacquer that has peeled off.

Words of warning. YES. Yes you can make it much worse than it is . . and I've seen quite a few that people have managed it.

Firstly getting the lacquer off takes care not to lift the veneers off the base wood.
Then colouring the wood and removing any stains is tricky to get even.

Any sanding at all will probably result in wearing through the veneer.

The lacquer is a special gel that is sprayed on thickly then flatted back and then polished to give it that characteristic perfectly flat mirror finish. (IMO anything else looks very wrong).

Using any other finishes on it usually causes more work and damage to the wood and makes it much harder for the professionals to refinish it properly.

You can probably get a few sticks off eBay to practice on if you really do want to have a go yourself, but don't practice on your 'real' ones. You can lift the lacquer with a heat gun but be very very careful or you will darken the veneer and make it very patchy. :-(

Good luck with it though, they do look amazing when re-done properly :-)

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2016 - 11:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Paul.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts.
I sent your comments to a mate of mine.
He is the guy who thought we could tackle it ourselves.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 581
Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2016 - 12:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry Alan,

I agree with Paul,

I have seen some door timbers (and dash boards) that have just been stripped and stained as you would some outside furniture.

It can be a real eyesore, and will be what draws everyone's eye, it is almost the most visible and touched timbers in the car after the dash.

My biggest problem is to stop people flicking off their seat belts, and the buckle hitting the wood.

My daughter has left one tiny dent so far.

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2016 - 13:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ahh so that is how the damage occurs, the seat belt had not occurred to me. My thinking was to attempt and if that fails then flick it off to the professional you mentioned or see if I can obtain another that could be matched by that same professional. However I am now putting more thought into this. I agree if it is not done right it would probably stand out more or as bad as what I have now. I do live in rural NSW and it's a rare day I go anywhere near Sydney.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 583
Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2016 - 14:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

TK Motors is at Mossvale in the Southern highlands.
I've heard the charge is roughly $350 per door cap excluding R&R.
It may pay to call him to make sure if these hear say prices are correct.

Ive seen the work he supplies and they are fantastic.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1668
Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2016 - 17:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Again Alan, lifting like yours occurs with age but is most often due to either a lack of ventilation (car not used enoigh) or dampness due to water ingress.
Check under all the foams under the carpets and under the rear seat and also in the rear parcel shelf safety belt wells for signs of water damage.

They are about £125 a capping over here.

Colour matching wise, its best to get it all done at the same time. If working to a tight budget I would save up to have both rear ones done at the same time.

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2016 - 19:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys, I dont think the approx price of $350.00 per door cap is at all exorbitant. I will check with TK Motors. :-)

The story goes my car came from a private collection of over 2000 cars and motorcycles, I am not even sure if the collection was in Australia, when I join the RROC I will contact them as advised.
You are spot on with not enough use, the spray painter/panel beater told me my elect windows are slow due to not being used enough, one refused to work at all until he stripped the door down and lubricated it and it works a treat now. His advice was to lower them and raise them each time I get in the car. He previously owned a shadow.
The carpets appear dry but yes I will look under them for moisture. I appreciate the advice given here. I will no doubt ask about something else again soon.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 584
Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2016 - 20:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan,

You have lots to think about now.
In regards to the seat belt damage, I was just referring to making passengers aware to be careful.
My daughter isn't

Paul,is spot on about the lifting, moisture and lack of use.
But that is bad for all aspects of these cars.

Here is what seat belt damage looks like Alan,
My daughter ding isn't this bad luckily.

I say to others.
"Be kind to your Shadow, drive it"

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, 15 October, 2016 - 22:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes I sure do have plenty to think on :-) Funnily enough my spray painter said exactly the same thing, "don't hide and baby it drive it and it will be all the better car for you doing so".

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 588
Posted on Sunday, 16 October, 2016 - 09:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Keep us posted Alan.

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, 17 October, 2016 - 14:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

UPDATE. You will be pleased to know that I have contacted KT Motors, MossVale. Door capping is now $375.00 each. Might have the dash panel fixed too whilst he is doing the 2 rear doors. Next thing to do is arrange things with my mate to drive up and have the doors/dash stripped out and then we can bring the Bentley home. This will happen sooner than later.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 590
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2016 - 08:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan,
Be aware that the 2 rear doors when done will most likely not match the front.

You have got it all worked out Alan, great stuff.

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2016 - 10:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick, here is my starting list of jobs to be done sooner than later. Rear door caps, probably the dash refurbished at the same time. Smaller steering wheel. After these jobs are completed I want to take it to the local RR technician (he not long moved out this way)where he can check general servicing and look at the cause/cure of the flat spot I mentioned elsewhere. After that I intend to enjoy the car for a while before perhaps getting the front door caps matched. I think thats enough for now :-)

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 593
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2016 - 10:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sounds like a plan Alan,
Might be down your way soon.

I will let you know if we do.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2263
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2016 - 11:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Phil Sproston was a very helpful adviser for the Self-Help Days we organised in the early 2000's.

Your car will be in safe hands.

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2016 - 12:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, you are more than welcome here. :-)

David, That's very reassuring to know. I will be seeing him soon.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, 31 October, 2016 - 23:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just a quick one guys. I am seeing Philip Sproston this coming Friday at 9:00am (some of you here know Philip). He is going to give the Bentley a once over for me on and off the hoist and take it for a test drive.
This should be interesting to say the least.
He also said he can give me a lot of information about the Turbo RL.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Tuesday, 01 November, 2016 - 06:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

lifting or lifted veneer is best left to the pros

The seat belt damage to the door capping.

Flatten with 600 grade leaving the divots just make sure the edges arent proud. So use a flat block twix the wet or dry.

using aerosol clear coat. lots of coats wet on wet using a hair drier for heat. Saves on runs.

leave to dry for 24 hours then flatten with 600
follow with 800 then T cut then wax polish. If the divots have not been filled completely with clear coat then lay on more clear coat.

If the lacquer has lifted then chemically strip the lacquer.

DO NOT scrape or sand. Wash with water dry then wipe with white spirit. Spray on 3 thick coats of clear----2 hours dry time--- flatten with 600.
Then lay on more clear to build thickness.
Take as long as it takes dont rush. Remember the car is still usable with a door cap on the bench.

use soapy water when flattening.

use white spirit before spraying.

Once the mirror finish is flat the divots disappear and end up appearing as features of the natural grain of the wood.

Should a divot be a bit too light felt tip pens will colour the divot.

My wood is walnut burl which under close inspection has browns, dark reds, greys and black in it

Johnsons furniture WAX polish good gear and cheap. Smells like my school desk.

Note. the harder the clear coat the better the shine hence 24 hours before final flatting and polish. after 1 hour @ 20c temp the clear coat should be dry However it take a few hours to go really hard and even after a week its getting harder. So a T cut after a month can make the shine even better.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, 01 November, 2016 - 08:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Robert, thanks for the how-to on door capping you explain it all well. However I have decided against trying a home fix and will be taking the car to KT Motors in MossVale, NSW Australia. He has an excellent name for all woodwork repairs and at only $375 per door I think its not too bad at all. My dash has some hairline cracks and although they are not too bad right now they will only get worse over time so he will quote too that when he sees it. I just need to get there.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 620
Posted on Tuesday, 01 November, 2016 - 13:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan,

Just remember the $375 is exclusive of R&R

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, 01 November, 2016 - 13:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's very true Patrick and a worthy point. He did ask if I would be bringing the parts in or the car. I replied the car ;)I wouldn't know where to start and would hate to do damage. I didn't discuss his rate but I do have a starting point in mind and being a R-R or Bentley I presume it goes up from there.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 622
Posted on Tuesday, 01 November, 2016 - 13:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan,
Do you remember the scene in the first original Vacation movie with Chevy Chase when he blew out all his tyres after they ran off the road in the Wagon Queen Family Truckster???????????

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, 01 November, 2016 - 13:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I certainly do Patrick, Chevy Chase is one of my favourite actors. I also remember the snake oil salesman who Chevy traded his car in with lol

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 623
Posted on Tuesday, 01 November, 2016 - 14:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No explanation required.

But the job when you get it back will blow your mind.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 632
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2016 - 19:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

How did you get on with Phil last week, and how was the Bentley's health check?

Just to let you know, I drove a problematic car last week that Phil ended up sorting when others couldn't.
I tell you what, it is running magnificently.
The owner is over the moon.
You will do well with him.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2016 - 20:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick, It's this Friday the car is booked in with Phil. I will post the results of the health check here but I am hoping the car is pretty sound and not in need of major works right now.

After the health check is out of the way and I have the small steering wheel fitted I then plan to take it to Moss Vale to get some of the woodwork (door caps) sorted. My biggest quandary right now is do I join the RROC now and the Bentley Club later or vice versa or then again maybe one will suit my needs. At this stage I know nothing about either club so its a tough call for me.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 635
Posted on Thursday, 03 November, 2016 - 12:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan,
I don't know anything about the Bentley Drivers Club so I cant comment on them.
The RROC is great, plenty to do and lots of great people that own Rolls Royce, Bentley and some members don't own any of the above at all, but have other many and varied makes and models of classic cars.
The main thing here is that everyone is like minded and love cars, the traveling in them, the preservation of them the enjoyment of them is what is in common.
A big family more than a car club mate.
Everyone is welcome Alan.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, 04 November, 2016 - 11:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys/Ladies.
Here is an update on the Bentley's health check carried out this morning.
All in all the car is in vgc, probably because its spent a lot of time in a showroom.
The major problem found was the front brakes, wheel cylinders were leaking and pads low. Front 4 brake lines need replacing (originals are still fitted.)Wheel cylinder kits will be fitted.
All fluids are going to be replaced, they smell stale.
Electrics are generally ok, the odd bulb needs replacing and some special electrical grease was used whilst I was there on the main connecting plug.
Front drivers seat goes forwards and back but the height adjuster is not working. Phil is going to set the front seat back another 50mm for me. he has done this for other owners and said it's quite a simple fix. The panel under the windscreen wipers will be removed along with the second cover panel and any old leaves and debris in there will be removed to prevent rusting and new sponge fitted there.
The front was sitting a tad low and the check revealed 60 profile tyres? Soon I will replace them with 225/75/16 and the front will be good. Finally I asked for a ballpark figure on the cost :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: