Chrome Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Chrome « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 992
Posted on Thursday, 21 April, 2016 - 11:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

use bakers fluid and soft solder to repair then clear coat then T cut, put loots of clear coat.

if it looks yellow then do all the chrome.

Nick Adlam
Experienced User
Username: crewes_control

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, 29 May, 2016 - 19:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bob

What would you recommend as an easy way to fill and hide stone chips in the grill?. I've been looking for some type of metallic epoxy/putty that can be polished, but can't come up with a definitive product.

cheers

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 516
Posted on Monday, 30 May, 2016 - 05:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nick l think Bob is still hooting it up in Eire ripping the doors off pubs and terrorising the help.

You have raised a very important point.I think there will be a difficulting in matching an epoxy with the bright sheen of the grill it being polished stainless steel.You really don't want a bogged up appearance.

I have never heard of a stainless restorer so you may have to get a replacement from Flying Spares or a good second hand one from a breaker. There is one who deals on eBay in east OZ. Certain Bob will return soon. Cheers

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2061
Posted on Monday, 30 May, 2016 - 07:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nick,

Vladimir is correct regarding the use of a filler - I am not aware of any product of this type and even if you use a stainless steel welding rod to fill the chips, there will be an obvious difference in the the surface colour after grinding and polishing the spot weld due to the difference in alloy content between the parent metal and the filler.

The only possible rectification would be to dolly out the dent and then polish the parent metal. The indentation mark may not polish out however restoring the affected part of the grill may but not always reduce the visual impact.

If you decide to rectify the grill, be very aware that if you apply too much pressure for too long during the repolishing can overheat the stainless steel causing localised buckling due to expansion from the heat induced in the polishing. Stainless steel is not a good thermal conductor hence the need for care.

Alan Dibley
New User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, 30 May, 2016 - 17:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is a firm in UK which polished some used wheel disks which I bought on Ebay. When they arrived I found three obviously "used", they had been kerbed in the usual way, and one which seemed almost new - I would have accepted it as new.
A friend took the three tatty ones to a place near him to have them restored. When they returned I could not detect the difference between the three used ones and the new one. That is not in the same league as a big rad shell but it suggests that there may be professional polishers around somewhere near you who could do an acceptable job.

Regards from Alan D.

Martin Taylor
Experienced User
Username: martin_taylor

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, 31 May, 2016 - 08:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It can be done, I had the door sill covers and other bits done, couldn't tell the difference, there are plenty of people out there that work with stainless, we build elevators from it and it isn't expensive to get to the RR standard of polishing

Nick Adlam
Experienced User
Username: crewes_control

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, 31 May, 2016 - 18:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Gents, thanks for getting back.

I admit to being a sook on this. The stone didn't actually create an indent, just a 6mm nick on an otherwise excellent grille- now calling it a memento of a really nice 3200km road trip through NSW and Vic. The car ran flawlessly the whole time.

Gave a good hand polish with Autosol and now I'm happy enough to leave things alone.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: