SU HD8-carb Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » SU HD8-carb « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Oliver Andreasen
Yet to post message
Username: rexi

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, 05 June, 2016 - 23:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi

I am looking for the right service kit for my SU HD8 carburettors it turn out to bee a big problem the car is a Vin.SRX 8270 - 1970
When I ask suppliers for service kit for SRX8270 all of them offer kit with the spring loadet Main Jet Needle as you can see form attach photo the carbs have a fixed needle - this make the confusion - so at the mean time I am not able to get the correct service kits.
It look like the carbs have been change during the past to an earlier type
Maybe some of you out there are able to help me out

SU HD8

SU HD8

SU HD8

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Monday, 06 June, 2016 - 01:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oliver

Your carbs appear to the same as the carbs on my car, a 1974 model (SRX18501). It looks like the ones on your car are correct and not from an earlier model. Here's a pic of mine. It looks identical to yours.

carb

Have you looked at this company?

http://sucarb.co.uk/

Geoff

Oliver Andreasen
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, 06 June, 2016 - 02:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff
Yes you right - also with a Fixed Main Jet Needle ??

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1933
Posted on Monday, 06 June, 2016 - 02:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oliver,

Not knowing where you're located I'm not sure of whether the following will be of any use. Not that Geoff's recommendation isn't going "straight to the source" but I've found the Burlen site to be less than user friendly if you don't already know what you need.

If you're in the USA an excellent resource for "all things SU" is Joe Curto. Download the RR & Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration & Other Resources Compilation and search for Curto and you'll find his contact information. He has been incredibly helpful to me on several occasions.

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Monday, 06 June, 2016 - 02:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Oliver

When I reconditioned my carbs I did not replace the needles. There were no signs of wear on them. Since I was storing the pistons away from my workbench I forgot to take pictures of them. All I can say is that from memory I am certain they were fixed and not spring loaded. However, I could be wrong, as I did not change them. I'm hoping another owner may be able to clarify this.

There is a good section on rebuilding the carbs in the workshop manual. By following the procedure for replacing the needle you should be able to tell whether yours are fixed or spring loaded. The relevant section is on page K16.

If you have not got a copy of the workshop manual it can be downloaded from here:

http://rrtechnical.info/

Geoff

Oliver Andreasen
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, 06 June, 2016 - 03:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian
I am located in the Faroe Islands - Islands between Norway and Island in the middle of the North Atlantic the islande belongs to Denmark so normally I get parts from UK-but the problems is the Vin number do not match the carb kit the suppliers are coming up with, the focus are on the Main needle for the Vin number for my car the main needle should be spring loaded but the fact is that the main needle installed on the carb is "fixed" this is making all the confusion - all suppliers apx 5 are not sure what parts I need even if they have all the photos and measurements.
On of the supplier http://www.southerncarbs.co.uk/
think it is a 2x UZ needles and 2x CSK30 service kits- but not 100% sure

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1934
Posted on Monday, 06 June, 2016 - 03:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oliver,

Then I'd drop Joe and e-mail, with photos, to see if he can help you out.

This is not an area where I have any expertise but only know who the "short list" of experts are. Geoff's advice should be followed first, as all may become clear.

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Monday, 06 June, 2016 - 04:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Had a quick look at the manual. Looks like yours is the spring loaded needle. Why not just remove it and compare it with the two diagrams from the workshop manual.

In the following pic the needle is held by locking screw (1). This is the fixed needle.

n1

The next pic shows the spring loaded needle.

n2

It will be obvious which type you have, once you have removed the needle.

Geoff

Kelly Opfar
Frequent User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, 06 June, 2016 - 04:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I rebuilt my carbs, I bought the kits from Burlen, but several other parts were only available from Bentley sources. Using the factory spares catalog page that details the carburetters, I was able to find everything I needed.
http://rrtechnical.info/SY/spare/6580_4/IMAGES/k/K19.pdf
This page can probably help you identify which version of the carbs you have.

Oliver Andreasen
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, 06 June, 2016 - 05:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff
My carbes are fitted with a Fixed needle locked with a locking screw acc to cars Vin 8270 - the needle should be a spring loaded soooo the SU-suppliers are not able to figure out what exact repair kit is needed - it look like the carbs are changed during the past

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Monday, 06 June, 2016 - 05:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Oliver

I'm with you now. Looks like the only two options are to either buy the needle separately or replace the piston for one that accepts the spring needle.

Geoff

Oliver Andreasen
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, 06 June, 2016 - 06:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff ;-)
But I wonder if anyone could figure out what year (apx)those type of carb was used for the Silver Shadows then it will be easier to sort out what kind of service kit to order.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: