Self leveling mystery Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Self leveling mystery « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

richard george yeaman
Frequent User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, 03 November, 2012 - 06:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all.

I was bleeding the rear brakes on SRH19529 and happened to notice that the left self leveling flexible rubber pipe had bulges as if it had a couple of grapes inside it anyway i ordered some new ones so as i could change all flexible pipes at the rear area when i took the one of there was no brake fluid in it i fitted the new one and started the engine in park and car quickly rose to the correct height i proceeded to bleed both sides the right hand side had a good healthy squirt of brake fluid and no air the left hand side had a drip now and again even though the car was the same height both sides any advice appreciated.

Richard.

Geoff Wootton
New User
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, 03 November, 2012 - 11:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard

First thing I'd check is the line that runs from the bleed nipple to the hydraulic ram. The fact that the car is rising equally on both sides indicates that both rams are working. If this is the case, I can't think what else it could be.

As a point of interest, the car should not rise when you start it. The fact that it does indicates that your rear springs are tired and need replacing, a very common fault on these cars after 40 odd years. A workaround is to fit spacers.

Geoff

richard george yeaman
Frequent User

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, 03 November, 2012 - 18:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff.

archI have already fitted spring assisters and the car never goes lower than my hand sliding over the wheel and just touching the wheel arch with the back of my hand might be someone has mucked about with the settings i will have to check some more.

Richard.

Chris Browne
Frequent User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 93
Posted on Saturday, 03 November, 2012 - 19:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Richard,

I have had this problem twice when trying to bleed the self levelling systems on two different cars - plenty of fluid from one bleed nipple and just a drip or two from the other. I managed to bleed both sides successfully by placing 250kgs of sandbags in the boot (or two fat friends, if you have them!). This had the desired effect and I got pressurised fluid out of the reluctant bleed nipple so there was clearly an air lock somewhere which lifting the extra weight cleared. Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Chris
P.S. Without trying to be pessimistic, the fact that you had bulges in one of your flexible hoses might indicate that all your hoses are of a similar age. Once you have changed the four hoses you mentioned and have successfully bled the system so it is working at full pressure, don't be surprised if another hose bulges or bursts as it is having to cope with full pressure for the first time in a long time. I know this because it happened to me!

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 411
Posted on Saturday, 03 November, 2012 - 19:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've found that the levelling valve activator rods can be fiddly to replace correctly after working on the springs. Since the rubber shroud has to be in place before you put them back on it's very easy to have the ball part of the swivel pass all the way through so that the pinch bolt is on the neck of the ball. This would put the valve rods slightly out of position. Not by much, but they don't need to move more than a couple of mm to give a lift of several cms.

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, 03 November, 2012 - 20:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard, is the length of the valve height control arm to chassis of equal length?. If fluid is travelling to the valve, the simple way to check.. with car on lift is to move the valve rod upward slowly with the bleed screw open, at the some time brake fluid should flow and ram lift(exercise caution as the body of car may move downward when bleeding?). From what I have read , one might consider changing all brake flexi pipes in one go, I think 12 cost me £210 stg .

Nigel Johnson
Frequent User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 90
Posted on Saturday, 03 November, 2012 - 23:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard, check the restrictor valve. Inside it has two (perhaps three) tiny washers with holes in them. These get bunged up.
Regards, Nigel.

richard george yeaman
Frequent User

Post Number: 70
Posted on Sunday, 04 November, 2012 - 05:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris Jan Hubert Nigel.

all good stuff, Chris i will try and get some weight into the boot mayby my wife will volunteer along with some sand bags.
Jan to be truthfull the hydraulic sys
tem on these cars are a wee bit hard to follow.
Hubert you are right i will order the rest of the pipes on Monday I dont have the Luxury of a car ramp and everything is a lot more difficult working on the floor.
Nigel will keep this in mind if this other stuff dosent work.
Thank you all for your input much appreciated.

Richard.