Window lift Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Window lift « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Barry Brears
Prolific User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 106
Posted on Saturday, 17 December, 2011 - 12:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here we go again with window problems and I think I've read all the threads.Re my Bentley SBH 17291,window on drivers side front not operational also slipping down over a period of time say 1 or 2 hours.There is no brake solenoid that seems strange when window was working ok before.Have checked voltage and when window motor is activated it shows on multimeter 11.5 to 12 volts.When I disconnect window from the assembly the motor works fine and assembly that sides up and down on the runner it also works fine.Before I go ahead and order a brake solenoid what will I need probably everything that is required to fit a solenoid please advise.All other windows work great,have checked tension re chain all ok.The motor I have is a Lucas a round one.Hope someone can throw some light on the subject. Barry

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 837
Posted on Saturday, 17 December, 2011 - 21:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Barry,

Some info please, when you put it up all the way and keep the switch up for an extra second or so, does it sound as though the motor is still turning, either freely or slowly?

If you try and push the window down, can you? If you can, can you see the bottom spindle turning where it's visible through the gearbox?

Barry Brears
Prolific User

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, 18 December, 2011 - 06:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,Firstly all the best for the festive season.The answer to both questions is yes and I think I know where the problem may be is it the nylon wheel in the gearbox turning on its axis.
Barry

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 838
Posted on Sunday, 18 December, 2011 - 07:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Seasons greetings to you and all.

Barry - close enough. The nylon part is usually ok. The metal part that the chain runs on is usually the part that slips.

It is isolated from the shaft by a rubber damper / core. This rubber part usually tears.

New or used one called for. I have never tried to repair them as they don't go frequently and we have used ones kicking around.

The clutch missing was just a red herring . . . but I'll have some if you do want one! :-)

Barry Brears
Prolific User

Post Number: 108
Posted on Sunday, 18 December, 2011 - 07:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,I've had trouble with this monster before so have a spare one in my box of tricks.Another wouldn't go amiss in case it happens again.Please advise how much and shall I go to your website to order?.
Barry

Chris Browne
Frequent User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 67
Posted on Sunday, 18 December, 2011 - 07:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Barry,
I had a similar problem on the drivers window of my Shadow 2 during the summer. I removed the window motor and took the lid off the gearbox and found the nylon gear wheel had broken into three pieces. As a temporary repair, I fitted two washers into the recesses on both sides of the gears and then drilled through the gear wheel and bolted it together.

I then filled the recess with Araldite and six months down the line, the window mechanism is still working, despite my having obtained an undamaged spare nylon gear which I have not yet needed to fit. Hope you manage to get it fixed.
Kind regards,
Chris

Barry Brears
Prolific User

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, 18 December, 2011 - 12:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Faster than a speeding bullet,more powerful than a locomotive,is it a bird is it a plane NO!! its super window !!!!thanks guys once again.

Barry