Shadow Rear power window failure Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Shadow Rear power window failure « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1548
Posted on Monday, 22 May, 2017 - 07:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
After a great weekend of touring and the car performing faultlessly, my son drove it last night, and the left hand rear window started to play up. It wouldn't go down, but when I flicked the switch to "up" the window slowly started to motor down!

That's weird I thought.
All windows have never been an issue.
I had that window up and down all weekend without drama.

I can hear a relay in the up position, but silence in the down.

I did check this at the door itself, and it is the same situation, so eliminating my drivers door switch and wiring to the door itself I guess.

Any thoughts?

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1708
Posted on Monday, 22 May, 2017 - 08:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

That's a weird one. Buried deep within the door winding mechanism is a nylon gearwheel which is known to sometimes slip on it's spindle, causing the window to go down. However it appears in your case using the down button has no effect whereas with a slipping spindle it would go down even more easily. Could you give a little more information. How do you get the window up again? Does it stay up? Can it be pushed down with light pressure?

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1549
Posted on Monday, 22 May, 2017 - 09:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff,

I tried to push it up and down, whilst using the switch, but nothing.

As it was late, I didn't want to push to hard on the window, as I was trying to unload the car and get it put away.

But definitely, no upward movement no matter how hard I pushed. However I didn't try to push the window down to hard, but it all seemed solid.

This window has been working perfectly, and has not been slow, or tight or anything alarming at all.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, 22 May, 2017 - 11:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think that the switch in the driver's door overrides the other switches and there may be a fault with the driver's door switch. They're very flimsy and delicate buggers with tiny components. In my case it was corrosion at the switch, the problem arose when a rear seat passenger asked for the rear window to be opened and as I used the driver's door switch she simultaneously pressed the rear passenger door switch. If you're extremely lucky pressing the small red window reset button on the relay at the fuse box a couple of times might fix it but that's most unlikely unfortunately or remove the relay and check if there are any corroded connections behind it.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1710
Posted on Monday, 22 May, 2017 - 13:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

I agree with Larry that it's most likely an electrical problem.

Regards the window cutout switch, this disables all four windows. It may be of course that in focusing on the rear window you have not checked the other windows. If they are all out, it most definitely points to the cutout switch.

Geoff

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 602
Posted on Monday, 22 May, 2017 - 14:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick...
I had to smile when you said "This window has been working perfectly, and has not been slow, or tight or anything alarming at all" given that cemeteries are filled with folks about which the same thing could be said, as in "Gosh, he seemed just fine yesterday"...before the heart attack!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Monday, 22 May, 2017 - 15:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry,

You may have hit the nail on the head.

I posted on the "Mr Sheen Effect" thread that we spent a weekend away for our wedding anniversary. I mentioned it rained heavily for 2 days, and at one stage, I now remember water flowed quite heavily off the roof (due to the Mr Sheen Effect ) straight through my drivers window and flooded all switches on my door, including the power window switch bank.

However, that was more than 24 hours before the problem.

I will check this switch bank ASAP, and at least I will know it is correct.

Christian,
I was also laughing at your comment, as you are spot on. It's just like what you said, that it was all good until it failed LOL

What I was "trying" to say was there were none of the usual window symptoms before the failure

What is also funny about your comment, is that while we were away for our anniversary, we were doing family tree research in the local cemetery which is also why we travelled to this area.
Maybe that is what happened to my great great great grandfather, he was healthy until he died LOL

Out of interest.

It is the first time anyone in my family has viewed the resting place of the first Ryan, of my family line that came to Australia in 1846.

We left a note on the grave saying thank you to David Ryan, as without you, my beautiful 5 week old granddaughter would never have been.
He was the first in Australia, and she is the latest in Australia.

John Kilkenny
Prolific User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 263
Posted on Monday, 22 May, 2017 - 17:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,
This fault reminds me of a very interesting thread in July 2015 (See Shadow Window Lifts 24/ 7/15) which also included a window dropping slowly when the UP Switch was operated. It is possible the motor overload switch is open.
John

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1552
Posted on Monday, 22 May, 2017 - 20:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks John,

I will check this thread.

All 3 other windows working well.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: