Windows and instrument trouble Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Windows and instrument trouble « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

arvid kristiansen
New User
Username: arvid

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, 16 July, 2011 - 07:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My LHD Silver Shadow II California model had a problem with the long beam lights. They only stayed on for about 15-20 seconds, and I had to reset the thermal cut out switch. After some investigation I found that the last owner had swapped the thermal cut out switches, so I put them back to the correct position. Doing this sett the lights right, but the windows and some instruments (listed below) stopped working. To be able to shut the windows I made a connecting wire between the car body and the 44GB wire near the door hinges, going to the driver’s window lift switch (192). This fixed the windows, but the instruments are still dead. I’ve checked all fuses and I’m stuck at this point. Can anyone help?

Instruments not working;
Speedometer
Fuel/ oil
Temp
Brake one pressure lamp
Brake two pressure lamp
Parking brake lamp
Brake fluid lamp
Engine overheat lamp
Stop lamp lamp

Arvid :-(

(Message edited by arvid on 16 July 2011)

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 751
Posted on Saturday, 16 July, 2011 - 18:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does swapping the circuit breakers back allow them to work again?

Did you check the fuses visually or electrically? Sometimes the fuse wire is intact but has a bad soldered joint on the end, So they look perfect but can not pass electricity through them!

arvid kristiansen
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, 16 July, 2011 - 19:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ive tested the circuit breakers electrically and they all pass power and seem to be working fine.

I checked the fuses bouth visually and electrically.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 753
Posted on Sunday, 17 July, 2011 - 01:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does swapping the circuit breakers back allow them to work again?

Have you done anything else to disturb the instruments power feed?

arvid kristiansen
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, 17 July, 2011 - 03:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry Paul, I see what you mean now. No the instruments do not work again if I replace the breakers in the wrong position.

No. I might have wriggled some wires, but not disconnected or connected anything.

I’m staring to think that I connected my new wire to the position marked green, and that my window lift relay (197) is defect so the connection between earth (55) and the washer fluid amplifier (59) is broken. Could this lead to instrument failure? Where would it be easiest to connect a temp earth to test this?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 755
Posted on Sunday, 17 July, 2011 - 17:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Arvid,

The windows only work with an ignition meed to the window lift relay 14G on 197

I suspect you lost your ignition feed to there and that's why the windows stopped.

what are 4 and 77 ?

You can follow the wiring diagram back and see where/if it is common to both, or try a temporary feed to there and see if it back-feeds to the warning lights.

arvid kristiansen
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, 17 July, 2011 - 22:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

5- Ignition switch
17- Fuseboard (The thermal cut out switch)
4- 4 in 1 instrument
77- Speedometer
With my new earth at the point of the green arrow my windows now work without ignition on, I like that.

Ill try testing some more later today I hope.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 757
Posted on Monday, 18 July, 2011 - 01:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just remember that your government doesn't think you guys can cope with windows operating all the time! lol.

Jeff Young
Frequent User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, 21 July, 2011 - 09:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'd guess that your relay 197 is dead (or removed). Not having the contacts would kill the windows (which you've fixed with the extra ground), but the instruments are also grounded through the relay's coil, so no relay means no ground for the instruments.

Not sure if the warning lights are the same problem or not. One of the diodes in my coolant amp had failed, shorting to ground and blowing fuses, so the PO just cut the power feed to it (killing half the other warning lights in the process). Most of your Shadow's diodes are getting a bit long in the tooth, so this might also be an issue....

Cheers,
Jeff.

John Kilkenny
Prolific User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, 21 July, 2011 - 23:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Arvid and Jeff,
The instruments and indicators that Arvid mentions have a separate ground and are not grounded through the Window Relay Coil.
The live end of the Coil is taken from Terminal 8 of the Ignition Switch via Fuse 1, which also provides voltage to the indicators and instruments.
Check Fuse 1 again. If OK, with the ignition on, check that 12 volts is at both ends of Fuse 1.
If no 12 V, because Terminal 8 of the ignition switch also provides voltage to the direction indicators, switch on the ignition and check if the indicators are working.
If the Direction Indicators do not work, the fault may be in the Ignition Switch or the wiring from Terminal 8.
If 12 V is getting past Fuse 1 some wire tracing is required.
Good luck !