Hard to start T1 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Hard to start T1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Barry Brears
Prolific User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, 01 June, 2012 - 09:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In Tasmania's North East it was minus 2 and do think Boris the Bentley would start no siree!.Has anyone else suffered these cold mornings and had difficulty in getting their car to start.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 341
Posted on Friday, 01 June, 2012 - 16:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In those kind of conditions the battery may be 'feeling the cold'. Especially if it's getting a bit long in the tooth. If the effective voltage at the coil is down then there may not be an adequate spark to fire the fuel mixture. An overnight trickle charge could be enough to overcome this.

However in such cold conditions you may find all the electrics are covered with condensation that might let too much of the spark drain to earth with much the same results.

In the UK the last 2 Winters have seen quite a bit of seriously sub zero weather, particularly the 2010/11 one, but my Shadow has started normally since I fitted a new battery in 2010.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Friday, 01 June, 2012 - 20:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Barry,

What is the CCA [cold cranking amperage] rating for your battery? It should be evident on the label on top of the battery.

I assume you have the original Lucas starter motor and given your location, I suggest your battery needs to have a rating of 600CCA or more to minimise voltage drop associated with the high current draw of this starter. Low voltage = poor spark = no start.

Barry Brears
Prolific User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 113
Posted on Saturday, 02 June, 2012 - 11:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks gentlemen,I have checked the battery and its CCA rating is 670 also I have a Nippondenso starter.So because the car only travels 100 kms a week I will place battery on trickle charge its only 2 years old but having said that nothings lasts! Barry