Fuses for starter and ignition Cornic... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Fuses for starter and ignition Corniche Coupé « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, 14 January, 2011 - 00:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear all,

My question concerns an annoying problem with a 1977 Corniche.

The 10 Amp fuse for the fuel pums and the ignition has a tendency of blowing usually (but not only) on starting from cold.

Bridging it, will cause the system to run normally but is of course not a solution.

Is this a recurrent problem or are the pumps shot and need refurbishing?

Other than the usual items to be checked (state of the pumps), is there any other common issue that could cause this?

Best regards,

Lluís

John Kilkenny
Prolific User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, 14 January, 2011 - 09:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lluis,
A likely cause of blowing this fuse is a short circuit to ground in the choke solenoid.
Move the wires at the solenoid to see if you can bring on the fault.
The purpose of the solenoid is to hold the choke on during startup so this may be why the fault often occurs at this time.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, 14 January, 2011 - 18:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you immensely. It's not my car, I have a Continental R, but the car of the guy who parks next to me in the office (they look great together the two coupés).

I will tell him to get the service manual for his car, and off we go with the choke solenoid.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, 07 March, 2011 - 18:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you again John,

Indeed the cables look horrible, we will make a new loom, as the whole circuit is beyond repair. We are talking about a car that spent 200.000Km in the south of France driving in summer with Airco, not much left of plastifyier in the cables around the engine :-(

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, 07 April, 2011 - 23:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Finito, THANK YOU JOHN.

The whole automatic choke circuit was hardened and short circuiting, so we did it all new, from cockpit to engine room.

Car is working wonderfully, a big thank you from Alain, the owner of this 1977 Corniche and myself.

Best regards,

Lluís