Connection between rear brakes & heig... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Connection between rear brakes & height control « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 394
Posted on Wednesday, 29 May, 2013 - 13:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello All,

It's not that I don't know that these exist such as the plugged up restictor valve that causes back pressure that applies the brakes even when you don't.

What triggers this question is an event that occurred today when I was bleeding the brakes and height control rams.

Before bleeding the brakes I did the usual propping of the brake pedal into the depressed position. I also got under the car and took the height control valve control arms off their pins and pushed both up to imitate having a heavy load in the boot/trunk.

What was odd is that the height on the car didn't change when I had it running with all the bleed screws closed. When I was bleeding the brakes I was working on the left rear caliper (and I honestly cannot remember whether the upper or lower piston) and when I cracked the bleed screw, *pop*, up the car rose while the engine was off.

Later, when bleeding the rams the car did lower while the bleeding was going on (or at least one side did, it's hard to tell precisely what's going on when you're under the car) and all else seemed normal.

What would make the height control have this sort of "delayed onset" yet the onset itself be very brisk? Is it likely something was clogged or "sludgy" that blew open?

At this point I've run enough brake fluid through that every bleed point is having what flows out look as close as is humanly possible to what's gone into the reservoir. I see no traces of "tea colored" fluid with rust nor are any solids of any sort being pushed into the reservoir when the pumps are running and the brakes are being repeatedly applied.

I doubt that this is anything serious based upon what I do know, but with what I know I can't come up with a logical explanation for what I experienced.

Brian, who will drive LRK37110 for the first time tomorrow, one year and four months after rolling her into the garage

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, 29 May, 2013 - 18:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian, its only a suggestion, have you renewed brake pipe work recently?. I have done so myself few years ago and it took hours to figure out which pipe went were at rear of car. If a break pipe was connected to the height control ram rather than caliper might this happen?????????
hk

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 397
Posted on Wednesday, 29 May, 2013 - 23:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hubert,

No, I've never touched any of the brake pipe work on this car and it doesn't appear that anyone else has done so, either. It's amazing how new the underside of this car appears even at its age.

Of course, since the car has traveled, on average, around 800 miles per year perhaps it isn't so surprising.

Brian, who hopes I can best that record even with gasoline prices being what they are