Underbonnet Finish Color Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Underbonnet Finish Color « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Prolific User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 218
Posted on Monday, 05 May, 2014 - 23:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen: my 1970 home-market Car SRH9391 has several painted parts underbonnet: the thermostat housing, elbow for the water pump bypass, and the cast parts on top of the spring towers. Does anyone have the correct color for these? I tried a metallic spray paint, and it is too bright; too silver. It seems they were almost cadmium or greenish-grey color.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Tuesday, 06 May, 2014 - 16:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

spring tops black

I believe the aluminium parts were not painted but just pacified or what ever they call the process they use on aluminium . A sort of anodizing and lacquer process.

Different finishes were used on different years.

Randy Roberson
Prolific User

Post Number: 219
Posted on Tuesday, 06 May, 2014 - 23:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My spring towers still have the remnant of the old front level control: by 1970 this no longer functioned but they were still installing this part, and I have not converted to the later tower cap.
I think you are correct, now that I look at the parts more closely. I may just clean them up and spray a coat of clear on them.

gordon le feuvre
Experienced User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, 08 May, 2014 - 06:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy, the spring tops were finished in shiny black with cadium bolts. You still have the remenats of front levelling. When this was deleted, part of the deletion kit was 2 x 1/2 spacers that fitted over the ram to obtain a midway position as the front height lift for the rams was 1.0inch. There were problems with the "short" stroke dampers as side loading caused premature wear on the internal damper bushes that manifested itself as "damper bubble" a noise at relatively low road speeds. This was cured by deletion of front levelling and fitting long stroke dampers. Most of the brake fliud reservoir tops have some corrosion, but looking at the back (closest to engine) also gives an indication of the finish of the reservoir and thermo housing. My Corniche is '73 with 30k miles and original.

Randy Roberson
Prolific User

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, 08 May, 2014 - 11:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My brake fluid reservoir is not too bad, but I can have it replated one day. There is a shop in Memphis TN which overhauls aircraft props and they have a cadmium plating facility. $$ no doubt.
I am refinishing a few parts incidental to reassembly after overhauling the brake pumps.
I got a recommendation of a Duplicolor high-temp engine paint in silver from Vedran, and it looks good so I am going with that.