WIndscreen wipers won't turn off Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » WIndscreen wipers won't turn off « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Benoit Leus
Experienced User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, 05 December, 2011 - 01:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Today I tested all the electrical equipement on my Shadow 2 to make sure it all still worked.
When turning on the windscreen wipers all went well until I switched them off. They kept working unless I switched off the ignition when they stopped in the middle of the windscreen, not returning to their park position. When turning the ignition on again they started wiping again.
The intermittent position works fine.
I removed the cover of the wiper mechanism, but can not see anything wrong.

Does anyone have an idea where to start looking ?

Jeff Young
Frequent User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, 05 December, 2011 - 07:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There are two limit switches in the wiper motor assembly that control the on-screen park and the off-screen park. One is operated by the gearwheel (or a cam on the gearwheel), while the other is operated by the sliding mechanism. It sounds like one of them has ceased functioning or needs adjustment. There are a couple of adjustments detailed in the workshop manual.

Benoit Leus
Experienced User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, 06 December, 2011 - 18:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yesterday I fiddled with the wiper engine gear mechanism but it didn't look anything like the drawing in the workshop manual. I must have dismantled and reassembled it 10 times with no result. I was going to give up but gave it a last try.
I still don't know what I did differently but everything now works as it should.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Jeff.

Jeff Young
Frequent User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, 06 December, 2011 - 19:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yeah, it's probably the fiddlyest thing I've ever worked on in the automotive realm. Mine still parks off-screen too low, but every time I try to adjust it I get some other (worse) side-effect.

Jeff.