Silver Shadow REfrigeration Evaporato... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Silver Shadow REfrigeration Evaporator Leak « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 500
Posted on Tuesday, 18 August, 2015 - 22:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I found the leak with my new, $45 refrigerant leak detector. When the unit is refrigerating the detector will signal when the probe is in the air flow from the vents, and nowhere else at any of the joints in the system.
it must be a small one, as it loses its charge over time. As the evaporator costs more than $1000 US, I hope it might be repairable. Another winter project.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 437
Posted on Wednesday, 19 August, 2015 - 05:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

From what I have read in the SY 1 manual of hallowed pages. The evaporator is not to bad to take out. It comes out from inside the car lower centre of dash board just above the transmission hump.

Shadow 2 may also be more or less the same.

R134a has smaller molecules than R12.

Wee evaporator leaks are often repaired it costs little. A quick solder job.

Also the expansion valve I believe is in the evaporator box. So it could be that thats has a wee leak.

So when taking the evaporator out try to expose the bits before actually degassing then one can get the sniffer closer to pin point exactly where the leak is.

Why a simple evaporator needs to cost 1000 bucks is beyond me. It would be cheaper to get one made. They are not a lot different from a radiator.

If your car is 134a and the evaporator is beyond repair then a new evaporator could be used that is more suited to 134a. If that is possible.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 501
Posted on Wednesday, 19 August, 2015 - 22:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the reply. As this evaporator is constructed on the old style with copper tubes and aluminum fins, it seems it should be repairable. On this Car, the expansion valve is outside the evaporator box, located adjacent to the brake reservoir. The Factory manual indicates it is removed from inside the Car. I had the heater core repaired several years ago, and it was a pretty good job to remove it from under the bonnet at the rear of the engine. Mostly because the sealant for the box had it stuck fast, though, not so bad otherwise. A local radiator shop fixed it for $20.
I suppose once the evaporator is out I can pressure it up and hold it under water to locate the leak.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 442
Posted on Thursday, 20 August, 2015 - 07:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Submerging in water is about the best way of checking once out of the car.

Also compressed air can be used to checked a newly assembled system. The vacuum after will draw out any damp.

Pressurise the system with air and wait 24 hours. Recheck pressure.

Note that the charging valve is made by Schader and is like a tyre valve. But the valves must not be interchanged because they are different.