Twin Point Dizzy TDC Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Twin Point Dizzy TDC « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Lacey
Experienced User
Username: dlacey

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, 20 August, 2014 - 10:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

All,
I have a question for early shadow owners, 1969 or earlier, with the Twin-Point 20D8 distributor:

Where on the Dizzy cap is your A1 plug lead? Mine (SRH4452) is at 5 o'clock (looking down on engine, Rad grille at 12 o'clock)...I find the Shadow manual a little confusing on rotor arm position (engine at TDC, A1)...the Silver Cloud V8 manual shows it (rotor arm, A1) at 11 o'clock.

The Shadow manual says the arm should point towards the contact breaker adjuster....but there are two contact breaker adjusters on a 20D8...

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Wednesday, 20 August, 2014 - 15:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G would say it should be about one o'clock. looking down.

which I reckon to be at the front of the car and slightly towards the right.

The cap clip is usually about 1.30 ish. The Engcoil low tension lead towards the rear of the car.

I think the adjuster you are looking for is a single type distributor with the adjuster on the outside. or possibly the type with the timing adjuster on the outside.

It's pretty much an arbitrary position in theory though and will not affect the running.

The distributor spindle can go in at two positions 180 degrees apart. Undo the two 11 16 nuts raise, turn the rotor arm through 180 and mower.

Are your leads 'comfortable' where they are or do some seen tight and some loose? If they are hand made they may fit that way, but bought ones usually look wrong.

Hope this helps, Paul.

David Lacey
Experienced User
Username: dlacey

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, 20 August, 2014 - 17:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,
Thanks.
Yes, I think I'll rotate the spindle 180.
Agree that in principle it makes no difference, just trying to get it a RR intended.