Water pump gave up the ghost Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Water pump gave up the ghost « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, 31 August, 2013 - 06:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello All,...The water pump on my 1968 Shadow bleed copious amounts of water today. Took an hour to remove same, knowing what to do next is the problem. On a quick rotation, no noise from pump, so I am assuming the bearings are ok?. I am assuming I need two seals for same? I haven't managed to separate fan,pulley from pump advice on same will be most appreciated.Or a hint as to which Tee I should check out..

Many thanks .
Hk

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Saturday, 31 August, 2013 - 06:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'd recommend a reconditioned one.

£135 plus vat and postage.. exchange units.

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User

Post Number: 83
Posted on Saturday, 31 August, 2013 - 06:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul, sounds reasonable priced.
hk

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Saturday, 31 August, 2013 - 13:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Price aside Hubbert, it is very precise work installing seals in a pump and ensuring the correct interference fit of the impeller. Not worth the risk of a stuff-up!

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2893
Posted on Saturday, 31 August, 2013 - 19:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hubert. Those early pumps do that without warning.

Go for a brand new one in a box. New pumps are now upgraded with SZ seals which do not fail the way that the SY ones do and last many times longer. Reconditioned, exchange or kits are possibly alright, but you may need a new impeller and drive flange which wipe out any savings over a new one at less than GBP200. If you return a bad pump as a core, the GBP130 or so exchange base price soon exceeds GBP230 and you only end up with a repaired pump.

RT.

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User

Post Number: 84
Posted on Saturday, 31 August, 2013 - 20:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard, Bill thanks for the advice it looks like a new one so. As you said Richard by the time one exchanges the pump including postage a new one will be cheaper.
Thanks for all the advice I will report back in a few weeks when the job is complete.
hk

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Saturday, 31 August, 2013 - 20:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As Richard says, repairing your own is not a viable option any more.

Both new and reconditioned pumps that I supply have the new type seals in any case. Reconditioned ones have been modified for quite a while now.

Failure rate is low on both.

If you have any doubt about your casing etc, or you live in the far reaches, new is the way to go.

Feel free to pm me Hubert if you'd like a quote on both.

Randy Roberson
Prolific User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, 02 September, 2013 - 12:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Stuff up"; there's a new one for me, a Yank after all, and not up on all the best terms.
I like it; works better in polite company than some I've heard/used!
I love this Forum!

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 177
Posted on Monday, 02 September, 2013 - 18:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I re-built mine and the seal failed after about 18 months.

I went with new the second time around. The casing wasn't an exact fit (I had to slightly enlarge the location pin hole), but other than that it went smoothly enough.

Admittedly, that was less than 18 months ago, so only time will tell.... ;)

Cheers,
Jeff.

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, 03 September, 2013 - 07:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I hope to take delivery of new pump on Wednesday, Ill report back on progress.
hk

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, 05 September, 2013 - 07:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi everyone, took delivery of water pump today took some time to fit, like Jeff the casing wasn't exact fit. Fingers crossed it will remain leak free.
Thanks to everyone who gave advice.
Hubert