Valve Covers on RR/Bentley SY cars Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Valve Covers on RR/Bentley SY cars « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Prolific User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 178
Posted on Friday, 04 January, 2013 - 09:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello All,

I know that I recall someone (Richard Treacy?) once having mentioned that the Bentley T (or at least some Bentley Ts) came from Crewe with valve covers with "Rolls-Royce" on them.

What I'm wondering is was this practice consistent throughout the run of SY cars, or was there a transition point where Bentley motorcars carried the "Bentley" valve covers I'd expect?

I ask this out of curiosity based upon a Craigslist Ad for a 1979 Bentley T2 where the photograph shows "Rolls-Royce" emblazoned valve covers. Since it's relatively rare to "Bentley-ize" a Rolls-Royce, as opposed to the other direction, I'm guessing this might have continued throughout the SY run. However, it wouldn't be the first Bentley conversion from a Rolls-Royce.

Brian (and, no, I'm not considering purchasing that car)

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 918
Posted on Friday, 04 January, 2013 - 10:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian, quite a few B's had RR rocker covers on. Not all though. Not sure where on the chassis ranges they were fitted though.

Shadows and Corniches were plentiful compared to their Bentley counterparts so quite a few RR's were converted in the Uk. In general around the world Bs are the RRs poorer brother so conversions to RR's are more common. T1s fell out of favour for quite a while so conversions to wedding cars were worth it financially.

Carl Heydon
Experienced User
Username: car

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, 04 January, 2013 - 16:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SBH 19606 has Rolls-Royce rocker covers, pedal rubber and chassis plate. In a couple of places in the build history it is refered to a SRH 19606 and some of the woodwork has the same penciled on the back. The 'factory' beige leather is grey underneath and no mention in the history of a change.
I must take the time to read the history carefully again. I suspect it was ordered as RR and changed to B. I recall in Praeclarum a member suggesting his car went the other way. Must look that up too!
All the best for 13
Carl

Timothy North
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.156.55.80
Posted on Saturday, 16 February, 2013 - 02:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I understand that because production numbers of T2s were so small many, if not all, were fitted with Rolls-Royce rocker covers, speedometers and main instrument clusters. An Autocar article from 9/6/1979 about a T2 observes that it is so fitted.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2778
Posted on Saturday, 16 February, 2013 - 10:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have seen 1970 Bentleys with R-R rocker covers. Certainly my 1972 SBH13247 has them, and it is designated a Silver Shadow on its Australian Compliance Plate. Thank goodness they put Bentley rocker covers back for the Mulsanne Turbo.

RT.