Speed Control Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Speed Control « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harry Roberts
Yet to post message
Username: harry

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, 27 October, 2011 - 20:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Knowledge bank.
Does any one know why my SRH26132 speed control unit only works when it feels like it? I am usually travelling around 60 odd miles an hour when I try to engage it. Have to cross fingers and toes and prey at that point. Sometimes I get lucky. Otherwise car is fine. Cheers, H.

Brian Vogel
Experienced User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, 27 October, 2011 - 23:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm presuming that when it does engage that it works (at least for a while). If that's the case then I'd check the following:

1. What shape is your bellows in? If it's cracked, warped, or inflexible from age this will be a problem.

2. What shape are your end plates on which the bellows are placed in? If they are corroded, particularly near the sealing edge, this will cause problems. Mine weren't corroded, but I still added a tiny bit of sealant where the bellows meets the visible upper side of the plate the last time I replaced mine.

3. Does the solenoid that controls the bellows vacuum work consistently?

4. How are the vacuum line connections to the cruise control mechanism?

5. Is the relay that controls the mechanism that's located in the engine bay working properly?

I also believe there's a relay under the top roll which I can hear make a distinct click each and every time I turn the cruise control switch on, even before attempting to set it. Since I solved my issue several years ago prior to reaching that item I cannot be sure, though.

Chris Browne
Frequent User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, 28 October, 2011 - 05:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Harry,

The cruise control on my Silver Shadow 2 was temperamental for a time but I found that I needed to ease off the accelerator pedal just before I engaged it. If I tried to engage the cruise control under power i.e. going up hill, it would not have it. Release the accelerator for a moment and it engages. I'm not sure if this is just a peculiarity on my car as there is no mention of it in the car handbook but it works for me so might be worth a try.

Kind regards,

Chris

Harry Roberts
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, 28 October, 2011 - 12:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bellows seem to be in good order and the vacuum lines are still supple and in good condition. The control works great when it decides to work, but it seems to only work when it feels like it. I will check the list Brian has laid out,Thank you Brian, and Chris may be on to something too, I have not tried the backing off a little as I engage the unit. Will let you know how it goes. Many thanks to Brian and Chris. Regards, Harry.

Jan Forrest
Prolific User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 273
Posted on Friday, 28 October, 2011 - 19:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have you checked the operating chain for any slack in it? When I bought my Shadow I was told by the previous owner that the 'Speedostat' wasn't working. However it just turned out that the chain hadn't got the necessary tiny amount of pre-tension in it so it ran out of movement before it pulled on the throttle linkage. I've never noticed any reluctance to engage as I can feel the pressure from the throttle spring come off my foot almost immediately under all conditions.

Harry Roberts
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2011 - 14:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Jan. Yes the chain is as usual when operating properly. Just getting the system to engage in the first place. Tried it on weekend and it was fine, after knocking the solenoids about with the rear end of a scrwedriver! Hopefully that may sort it out for a while. I think speaking to it in a kind voice helped it too? Many thanks for your thoughts, regards, Hary.

Brian Vogel
Experienced User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, 03 November, 2011 - 00:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If knocking on your solenoids seems to have helped then it's time to lubricate them. Giving these things a good soaking with WD40/PB Blaster/AeroKroil/whatever your favorite penetrating oil is tends to loosen them up and keep them loose for a very long period of time.

This is often necessary to do on the anti-run-on (anti-dieseling) and weakener solenoids as well. These solenoids take mere minutes to remove, treat (unless you know they're stuck, in which case you need to let 'em soak for a while before proceeding), test and reinstall. It's a tiny bit more time consuming for the speed control solenoid should you choose to remove it, but you could always try treating it in situ.

Brian